Deputies: Man shot and killed in Avenal, suspect arrested
AVENAL, Calif. (KFSN) -- Kings County Sheriff's detectives are investigating a shooting at an Avenal apartment complex that left one man dead.
Deputies were called to the area of Alpine and 5th Street Tuesday afternoon after neighbors heard gunshots.
A spokesperson said when deputies arrived they found a man in the apartment complex parking lot, still holding a gun.
"They ordered him to comply, get on the ground, and drop the weapon. He did. He was very cooperative in that sense," said Kings County Sheriff's Department Commander Robert Thayer.
Investigators identify the suspect as 45-year-old Carlos Serrano. They said they found the shooting victim, Serrano's son-in-law, inside a downstairs apartment.
The shooting happened just blocks away from Avenal's National Night Out celebration at a nearby park.
Word of the shooting spread quickly. "It's a shock. I'm like, 'wow, here in Avenal?' These things happen here sometimes, but it's a shock," said Avenal resident Amanda Mendoza.
The victim's identity hadn't been released. So far, there is no word on a motive.
kings county, avenal, shooting, crimetracker, murder, local, amanda perez
- 2010 Greyhound Bus crash lawsuit settled 30 min ago
- World leaders, South Africans honor Mandela
- Juvenile seriously injured in Planada shooting
- Truck driver dies after pinned while making delivery in Fresno
- Fresno auto shops build next Wheels of Hope car
- Experts advise caution after several carbon monoxide leaks
- Freeze affects Valley's $1.5 billion citrus industry
- Merced Mercy Credit Union Cycling Classic runs its course
- Helicopter crashes while warming citrus grove
- Video: Valley Works: Fresno State Nursing Program
- Man arrested after a shooting spree in Fresno
- Man arrested for beating outside Elbow Room
- Pulmonary Rehab: Healing with music
- Fresno State fans plan for the Royal Purple Vegas Bowl
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos