Local Reaction to Prop 8 Ruling
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Members of the local Marriage Equality group were busy e-mailing, inviting supporters to a rally when the ruling came down.
Organizer Jason Scott said, "I'm ecstatic about the ruling. We've been waiting years to see a court decision come down in our favor."
But Pastor Jim Franklin, a vocal opponent of same sex marriage is not happy. "It's a sad day for the people of California the arrogance of one activist judge that would override the will of the people. We've had seven million in the last election plus that voted for this. "
Franklin says the ruling is another example of federal interference in state's rights. "The question I'm getting now, is does our votes count?"
Both sides have held rallies at Fresno City Hall. Supporters of same sex marriage will be back tonight.
"Well tonight we weren't sure if we would be having a protest or celebration tonight. So, we've been setting up for both ways. But now we know it's a celebration so that's going to be great," said Scott.
gay rights, local
- Pope Francis, huge crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- Fresno 4/20 event fires up health advocates
- Transcript reveals confusion over ferry evacuation 57 min ago
- Deputies shoot, kill man after high-speed chase
- 1 dead, 1 arrested after NW Fresno shooting
- FLIR video captures end of Tulare County chase
- Police arrest 2 suspects in Merced shooting
- 13th body pulled from snow in Everest avalanche
- Health care site flagged in Heartbleed review
- 2 Fresno men arrested in NY for heroin possession
- Deputies: Man smothered crying son over video game
- NASA: Engineer vital to moon landing success dies
- Chopper drops 2,600 golf balls for a good cause
- Blackbeard's hosts large Easter egg hunt