Local Reaction to Prop 8 Ruling
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Members of the local Marriage Equality group were busy e-mailing, inviting supporters to a rally when the ruling came down.
Organizer Jason Scott said, "I'm ecstatic about the ruling. We've been waiting years to see a court decision come down in our favor."
But Pastor Jim Franklin, a vocal opponent of same sex marriage is not happy. "It's a sad day for the people of California the arrogance of one activist judge that would override the will of the people. We've had seven million in the last election plus that voted for this. "
Franklin says the ruling is another example of federal interference in state's rights. "The question I'm getting now, is does our votes count?"
Both sides have held rallies at Fresno City Hall. Supporters of same sex marriage will be back tonight.
"Well tonight we weren't sure if we would be having a protest or celebration tonight. So, we've been setting up for both ways. But now we know it's a celebration so that's going to be great," said Scott.
gay rights, local
- Juvenile seriously injured in Planada shooting
- Lawsuit filed after arrest made in Elbow Room fight 3 min ago
- Helicopter crashes while warming citrus grove
- Man arrested after a shooting spree in Fresno
- Man arrested for beating outside Elbow Room
- Truck driver pinned while making delivery in Fresno
- Pulmonary Rehab: Healing with music
- Derek Carr not on Heisman Trophy finalist list
- Surviving the mall's food court
- 18 LA sheriff's deputies face US charges
- Selma High grad, Bobby Cox, elected to Hall of Fame
- 3 cars and FAX bus involved in crash
- Hanford man found dead inside a car in Armona
- Deputies search for missing 31-year-old Fresno man