Amtrak train and Big Rig collide in Shafter
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Emergency crews have cleared the railroad tracks in the South Valley where an Amtrak train collided with a Big Rig, injuring several people.
More than 200 people were on board the southbound train when it crashed into the back of a stalled Big Rig Friday afternoon in the Kern County town of Shafter.
The impact of the crash sent debris everywhere. Investigators say the conductor locked the brakes but couldn't get the train to stop in time. Paramedics helped injured passengers off the train and took them to nearby hospitals.
Eighteen people suffered minor injuries. Police say the signals and caution arms at the crossing were working properly at the time of the crash.
- Lemoore considers tough water rules
- Recycled water may ease drought concerns
- New twist in case of murdered Fresno sex offender
- FFD: Squatters likely causing dangerous fires
- Riverdale man is the newest lottery millionaire
- Job seekers interview for the world's...
- VIRAL VIDEO: Kids try to use a Walkman
- Woman says Covered California "saved her life"
- Action News talks with Mrs. California 7 min ago
- Disaster relief for cattle ranchers
- Memorial in place for fallen Merced police officers
- Moment of silence marks Boston Marathon bombings
- Overturned beer truck causes havoc during morning commute
- US backs Ukraine military action in east region
- Accuweather Forecast
13 min ago