Amtrak train and Big Rig collide in Shafter
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Emergency crews have cleared the railroad tracks in the South Valley where an Amtrak train collided with a Big Rig, injuring several people.
More than 200 people were on board the southbound train when it crashed into the back of a stalled Big Rig Friday afternoon in the Kern County town of Shafter.
The impact of the crash sent debris everywhere. Investigators say the conductor locked the brakes but couldn't get the train to stop in time. Paramedics helped injured passengers off the train and took them to nearby hospitals.
Eighteen people suffered minor injuries. Police say the signals and caution arms at the crossing were working properly at the time of the crash.
- Lilly 2 fire in Yosemite Lakes 80 percent contained
- Yahoo takes big leap with $1.1B deal for Tumblr
- The skinny on fitness video games
- The final push for California's 16th Senate seat
- Fresno Police open fire on suspect after bike chase
- La Tapatia fire prompts two business to evacuate in Fresno
- Hundreds of UC Merced students receive their degrees
- OTRC: Billboard Music Awards 2013 winners list
- Photos: Best moments at Billboard Awards 2013
- Firebaugh man kills home invasion suspect with a sword
- Investigators look into Merced house fire
- California Classic Weekend half marathon
- Visalia PD cracks down on underage drinking
- Welty's final commencement at Fresno State
- Lilly 2 fire in Yosemite Lakes 80 percent...
18 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos