Amtrak train and Big Rig collide in Shafter
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Emergency crews have cleared the railroad tracks in the South Valley where an Amtrak train collided with a Big Rig, injuring several people.
More than 200 people were on board the southbound train when it crashed into the back of a stalled Big Rig Friday afternoon in the Kern County town of Shafter.
The impact of the crash sent debris everywhere. Investigators say the conductor locked the brakes but couldn't get the train to stop in time. Paramedics helped injured passengers off the train and took them to nearby hospitals.
Eighteen people suffered minor injuries. Police say the signals and caution arms at the crossing were working properly at the time of the crash.
- Deadly shooting investigation in Southwest Fresno 20 min ago
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- Free health care enrollment fair held in Fresno
- Parlier youth football team mourns slain coach
- 2 dozen injured as California school stage falls
- Pistorius trial: Stunning testimony in 1st week
- Putin defends separatist drive in Crimea as legal
- Fresno PD: Man hit by vehicle while jaywalking
- Suspected gang member nabbed in fatal Fresno shooting
- DUI suspect crashes into 'We Be Sober' drivers
- United Way celebrates 90 years of serving Fresno County
- Elderly drivers: When to turn over the keys
- 3D printer and Twitter used to make Oreo cookies
- CIF Central Section Basketball Finals