Fresno Census workers claim wrongful termination
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- The 2010 Census isn't even complete, but some former census workers are already questioning the Central Valley's results. They gathered at a Fresno park Wednesday claiming they'd seen workers falsify data just to keep their jobs. "They were filling out questionnaires because if they didn't, if they went back and said, 'I didn't get any today, or I got three questionnaires in 5 hours,' they would be terminated," said Former census worker Craig Baltz.
Many at the park claim they were treated unfairly and wrongly terminated. Mona Perez was let go in June after working as a crew leader. She says she raised questions about the falsification of data and was let go shortly after. "Those two houses never even existed. But yet on paperwork, you're indicating those houses are vacant. Those houses never even existed," said Perez.
The U.S. Census Bureau says it is aware of the Fresno complaints and it is cooperating with a Commerce Department investigation. In statement, a spokesperson said "It appears all procedures and protocols have been followed."
The spokesperson went on to say, "The quality of the census is something we take very seriously and we have a rigorous quality assurance process to make sure we have an accurate and complete census."
In the meantime, several of the former employees have also filed complaints with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission. "The wrongful termination we want them overturned. We want them investigated, we want them reviewed. We want them to overturn these terminations and also compensation for lost wages," said former census worker Robin Walker.
Managers at the Fresno census offices declined to comment on the allegations, referring us to the national headquarters. Several former workers say they're also considering lawsuits.
census 2010, fresno county, fresno, local, amanda perez
- Crimeans vote to leave Ukraine, join Russia
- Ukrainians in Fresno react to Crimea vote
- LA police say no leads in abduction of 4 kids
- Merced police seek help to catch armed robber
- Fresno State men's basketball to play in CBI tourney
- Child may be to blame for Fresno garage fire
- Crash sends Fresno police car into canal
- 16 killed in stampedes for jobs in Nigeria 10 min ago
- 2.8-magnitude earthquake hits Coalinga area
- Runners hit streets for CA Classic Half-Marathon
- Clovis sting busts adults buying alcohol for minors
- Magnitude-6.7 quake hits Chile's northern coast
- Navy's Blue Angels return to skies over California
- Oprah Winfrey to sell Harpo Studios in Chicago 23 min ago