Fresno bishop diagnosed with lung cancer
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- The announcement that the leader of the Fresno Diocese has cancer has taken many of the Valley's half million Catholics by surprise.
Parishioners found out Bishop John Steinbock was recently diagnosed with lung cancer during celebrations of mass over the weekend.
The diocese says the 73-year-old bishop has no immediate plans to cut back on work -- instead he believes the disease will help in his ministry.
Deacon Jesse Avila says Bishop Steinbock is in good spirits ... and is currently meeting with doctors trying to determine the nature and severity of his cancer.
The bishop was a smoker in his early priesthood, and last year, successfully battled skin cancer.
fresno county, fresno, local, graciela moreno
- Fresno State defeats Utah State 24-17 2 min ago
- Deputies search for missing 31-year-old Huron man
- Highway 41 closed near Tenaya Lodge
- Train hits pedestrian and dog in Central Fresno
- Video: Mountain communities wake up to snow
- Nelson Mandela family: 'We have lost a great man'
- Reindeer escapes from Santa at Colorado mall
- Toys for Tots marathon kicks off at River Park
- Pearl Harbor ceremony marks attack anniversary
- One injured in Central Fresno drive-by shooting
- Animal shelter seeks donations to keep dogs warm
- Freezing temperatures take toll on small Valley farms
- Police increase patrols on Fulton Mall after shooting
- Valley utility workers gear up for freezing weather
- Accuweather forecast
2 min ago
- Fresno State wins inaugural Mountain West...
1 min ago