Fresno bishop diagnosed with lung cancer
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- The announcement that the leader of the Fresno Diocese has cancer has taken many of the Valley's half million Catholics by surprise.
Parishioners found out Bishop John Steinbock was recently diagnosed with lung cancer during celebrations of mass over the weekend.
The diocese says the 73-year-old bishop has no immediate plans to cut back on work -- instead he believes the disease will help in his ministry.
Deacon Jesse Avila says Bishop Steinbock is in good spirits ... and is currently meeting with doctors trying to determine the nature and severity of his cancer.
The bishop was a smoker in his early priesthood, and last year, successfully battled skin cancer.
fresno county, fresno, local, graciela moreno
- Lilly 2 fire in Yosemite Lakes burns one home 16 min ago
- Visalia PD cracks down on underage drinking
- Welty's final commencement at Fresno State
- Connecticut commuter train crash: 70 injured
- Get the Winning Numbers for Powerball!
- Tornado-ravaged Texas town to start recovery
- Castaic-area brush fire fully contained
- SKorea: NKorea fires 3 short-range missiles
- Ricin letter case: FBI searches WA apartment
- Pacers knock out Knicks with 106-99 win in Game 6
- Chatwood leads Rockies past Giants 10-2
- San Jose Sharks fined $100,000 for GM's comments
- Kai murder investigation details revealed
- Dog pack kills nearly 80 animals at campus
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos