Trial begins for Merced County man accused of brutal homicide
MERCED COUNTY, Calif. (KFSN) -- Disturbing new evidence emerged in the murder trial of a Merced County man accused of burning a woman to death.
Prosecutors say Luis Valencia and three other men who are being tried separately -- killed Rosa Avina in October of 2007. Avina was found badly burned and barely alive in a Ballico field.
In court, the prosecution played an audiotape of Merced County detectives interviewing Avina in the ambulance before she was flown to a hospital where she died days later. On the tape, Avina groans in pain but still manages to answer a critical question.
"Can you tell me who you were with?"
Alvaro is the name of another suspect in the case. Attorneys for both sides declined to comment, but a family friend of the victim told Action News Avina did not deserve to die the way she did.
merced county, murder, crimetracker, court, local, sara sandrik
- Target: 40M card accounts may be breached
- Elderly woman critically injured in Fresno house fire
- Operation Bulldog cracks down on gang members
- Fresno attorney reenacts testimony from Kai
- Man accused of killing Los Banos boy in crash changes plea
- Teen girl found dead in Madera County stream
- Homicide investigated at Porterville Developmental Center
- Valley schools prepare for new transgender law
- Valley business gear up for next Fresno State game
- FUSD improves nationally but still behind peers
- Wood burning contributes to bad air quality in the Valley
- Bad air keeps some Valley students indoors
- Health Watch: Pinpointing prostate cancer
- The new year will mean a new sheriff for Merced County
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos