Trial begins for Merced County man accused of brutal homicide
MERCED COUNTY, Calif. (KFSN) -- Disturbing new evidence emerged in the murder trial of a Merced County man accused of burning a woman to death.
Prosecutors say Luis Valencia and three other men who are being tried separately -- killed Rosa Avina in October of 2007. Avina was found badly burned and barely alive in a Ballico field.
In court, the prosecution played an audiotape of Merced County detectives interviewing Avina in the ambulance before she was flown to a hospital where she died days later. On the tape, Avina groans in pain but still manages to answer a critical question.
"Can you tell me who you were with?"
Alvaro is the name of another suspect in the case. Attorneys for both sides declined to comment, but a family friend of the victim told Action News Avina did not deserve to die the way she did.
merced county, murder, crimetracker, court, local, sara sandrik
- 'Family Annihilator' fugitive could be in California
- Malos Hechos the target of Fresno police
- Bogus Fresno Bee letter adds intrigue to DA campaign
- One of Fresno's ten most wanted criminals arrested 41 min ago
- Salmon moved on the San Joaquin River
- 59 Days of Code competition encouraging developers 6 min ago
- Nobel laureate Gabriel Garcia Marquez dies at 87
- Bloody suspect caught by Madera neighbors
- 'Real Housewives' star Porsha Williams arrested
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' sequel in the works?
- Applications for US jobless aid edge up to 304,000
- Drought intensifying pest problems on farms
- Chelsea Clinton expecting 1st child
- Texas seizes polygamist group's secluded ranch 22 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos