Bishop shot and killed at Mormon church in Visalia
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- The Visalia Police department is investigating a deadly shooting of a Bishop at a Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints on Conyer and Tulare.
Minutes later Police responded to an shooting on Burrel and Divisadero.
Police say the victim is 42-year-old Bishop Clay Sanner. Several congregants gathered outside the church mourning the loss and in complete shock.
Two witnesses say that they saw the suspect walk into the Bishops office, engaged in conversation and opened fire on him.
That suspect then took off in a car that was parked outside, drove about a mile, then called police. He told police where he was and when police showed up the suspect opened fire, police returned fire injuring him.
He was wounded in the street and was taken to a nearby hospital. We were not able to ascertain his condition, and police don't have any idea what the motive could be.
Sanner had been working as a Bishop at the church for about 4 months as a volunteer, getting no pay.
We understand he is a family man, he has a wife and six children. His latest child was born just months ago. We will have updates to this story as soon as information become available.
visalia, shooting, local, john-thomas kobos
- Police block Mexico hospital, 6 may have radiation
- 2 arrested on sex trafficking charges
- Amber Alert issued for 14-year-old Kennewick Girl
- Nelson Mandela has died at the age of 95
- Fresno burglary suspect arrested in Central Fresno
- 3 arrested for mail theft in Madera
- One person shot near the ice rink at the Fulton Mall
- Small Hmong farms losing crops to bitter cold
- US unemployment falls from 7.3 to 7 percent
- Two of three missing Dinuba children found safe
- Closing arguments in murder trial against paralegal
- Candlelight Christmas Tractor Parade and Wine Stroll
- Effort to complete Herndon bike trail underway
- Teenage serial burglar, 14, arrested in Merced
- Fire Safety