Three arrested in Planada shooting
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Two North Valley teens are hospitalized after a shooting in front of a Planada home Monday night. Police have arrested two adults and a juvenile in connection in the case. Investigators said the three have gang ties but the two victims are completely innocent.
It happened around 10:45 p.m., as the teens were standing in front of the home. Investigators say a car pulled up and several gunmen opened fire. 17 year old Monica Garcia was hit in the head. Her boyfriend, 17 year old Justin Gonzales, was hit in the back. "She had just come home from a volleyball game and she didn't think she had done that well and she just wanted a hug. So just drove over there to give her a hug and tell her everything was going to be okay," said Gonzales's mom, Lorie Clinton-Lazo.
Garcia is a senior at La Grand Union High School, where she serves as student body president. Gonzales is a recent graduate from the same school. Investigators and those who know the teens can't figure out why the teens were targeted. "They are so outgoing. They touch everybody at our school. It doesn't matter who you are, they've touched you in some way," said Garcia's coach, Gia Priddell.
Priddell visited both teens in Modesto Tuesday evening, where they are recovering from their injuries. She said despite their injuries, both are in good spirits and even in a hospital bed, Garcia's thoughts are on school. "She was just concerned about the rally next Friday. Who's going to do what ... and what we're going to do at the rally. I was telling her, 'let your brain rest,'" said Priddell.
Garcia's injuries have left her at least temporarily paralyzed. Gonzales' injuries are less severe.
shooting, crimetracker, planada, merced county, local, amanda perez
- Amber Alert issued for 4 LA-area children 13 min ago
- Malaysian leader: Plane's disappearance deliberate
- Vigil held for slain Parlier football coach
- 8 kids, 4 adults involved in SW Fresno crash
- Family remembers murder victim, forgetting killer
- Suspected gang members arrested in Winton murder
- FDIC sues 16 big banks that set key rate
- West readies sanctions on Russia after Crimea vote
- Visalia man accused of sexual conduct with boy
- Valley residents seeing more black widow spiders
- Weather to warm up for CA Classic Half-Marathon
- States sue over California's egg laws
- Visalia school unveils new solar structures
- 7 health apps you need to know about