Community Food Bank prepares for record giveaway
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- The Community Food Bank is planning its largest food distribution in history on Saturday as part of the September 11th National Day of Service.
The organization is teaming up with the Big Fresno Fair and HandsOn Central California to feed 20, 000 at the Sal Mosqueda Community Center.
To qualify, all you have to do is show up.
"Basically they'll be asked a couple of simple questions. You know, what zip code they live in, and how many are in their family. In terms of do they qualify for the food ... we feel that anyone who is willing to wait in line is qualified to receive that food," said Bob Reyes, the interim director for the Community Food Bank.
The record giveaway called 'Feed Hope" comes after a full year of drought related food distributions. Reyes said the governor's office made the food available after those distributions ended earlier this summer.
HandsOn Central California is coordinating the huge volunteer effort needed for the event. "We're still looking for more volunteers, probably another couple of hundred volunteers. And we're really looking for people to help out with the 3 p.m. to 7 p.m. shift," said Nicole Traverso, the Volunteer Connections Director with HandsOn Central California.
Traverso said volunteers can be as young as seven years old. They're hoping families will join together to distribute thousands of boxes. Every person in a family will get enough food to feed them for two weeks. The Community Food Bank is also hoping the event will serve as an important reminder. "Hunger is an everyday issue. It's not just that on September 11th people are hungry. It's every single day of the year," said Reyes.
The food distribution event is being held Saturday from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. at the Mosqueda Park at the corner of Maple and Butler. Recipients are being asked not to arrive earlier than 6 a.m.
fresno, fresno county, food drive, local, amanda perez
- Fresno 4/20 event fires up health advocates
- Deputies shoot, kill man after high-speed chase
- Divers begin pulling bodies from sunken ferry
- 1 dead, 1 arrested after NW Fresno shooting
- FLIR video captures end of Tulare County chase
- Police arrest 2 suspects in Merced shooting
- 13th body pulled from snow in Everest avalanche
- Health care site flagged in Heartbleed review
- 2 Fresno men arrested in NY for heroin possession
- Deputies: Man smothered crying son over video game
- NASA: Engineer vital to moon landing success dies
- Chopper drops 2,600 golf balls for a good cause
- Blackbeard's hosts large Easter egg hunt
- Easter Brunch recipe