Kings County Supervisor denies rape charges
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A Kings County Supervisor spoke publicly for the first time since he was arrested on rape charges. Richard Valle was taken into custody on Wednesday after police in Corcoran say he sexually assaulted a woman.
In a nearly three minute speech, Richard Valle proclaimed his innocence to his fellow supervisors and members of the public who attended Tuesday's meeting. He also stepped down as Chairman of the Board until the rape charges he's facing are resolved.
Richard Valle looked calm during most of Tuesday's Kings County Board of Supervisors meeting. But before the meeting began, Valle started to cry as he addressed his fellow supervisors and the public about the charges he's facing. "I am extremely appreciative of the great ... support ... that has come my way."
Valle also denied any wrongdoing. "The fact that I was arrested and that I may be facing charges is of course extremely embarrassing and regrettable. However I'm going to state emphatically ... that I have not committed any crime."
On Wednesday Valle was arrested at his home in Corcoran after police say a 24-year-old friend accused him of raping her while she was drunk and unconscious. At Tuesday's supervisors meeting, several of Valle's constituents spoke to the board to show their support for the supervisor.
Dagoberto Ovalle said, "He's innocent until proven guilty so uh ... with me I believe he did the right thing he came to work just like anybody else would have."
Valle said he will continue to serve on the Board of Supervisors but decided to step down as chairman until the case against him is over. Vice Chair Tony Barba was named the interim board chairman.
"He's going to be tied up with his defense and wouldn't have time to do the chairman's duties," said Barba.
The district attorney's office says they are reviewing more evidence against Valle before filing charges against him.
kings county, hanford, court, corcoran, crimetracker, local, jessica peres
- Police: Man killed in Fresno gang-related shooting
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- Man accused of killing Parlier coach identified 21 min ago
- Free health care enrollment fair held in Fresno
- 2 dozen injured as California school stage falls
- Pistorius trial: Stunning testimony in 1st week
- Putin defends separatist drive in Crimea as legal
- Parlier youth football team mourns slain coach
- Fresno PD: Man hit by vehicle while jaywalking
- DUI suspect crashes into 'We Be Sober' drivers
- United Way celebrates 90 years of serving Fresno County
- Elderly drivers: When to turn over the keys
- 3D printer and Twitter used to make Oreo cookies
- CIF Central Section Basketball Finals
- Accuweather Forecast
50 min ago