Off-duty CHP officer injured in a possible hit and run crash
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Fresno Police are looking for the driver who caused an off-duty California Highway Patrol officer to crash in Northwest Fresno. The officer suffered serious injuries after his motorcycle hit a curb Tuesday afternoon.
The accident happened in the eastbound lanes of Herndon Avenue, just east of Palm. Investigators say the driver of a silver Toyota Tundra first tailgated one vehicle, and then struck the motorcycle, forcing him into the slow lane. The Tundra then veered into that lane, causing the off-duty officer to crash into the curb. Despite the officer's serious injuries, he was able to give some information to investigating officers. "At this point, it's a pretty severe injury to the lower leg ... It wasn't described as life-threatening, but the officers that were out there said the individual was up and talking to officers at the scene," said Lt. John Papaleo with the Fresno Police Department.
A witness told Action News the officer's leg was severed in the crash. The officer was scheduled to undergo surgery in the Bay Area Tuesday evening. Police are looking for the driver of the truck involved in the crash. It's described as a silver Toyota Tundra with four doors.
crimetracker, fresno, fresno county, fresno northwest, fresno police department, california highway patrol, local, amanda perez
- 2 Men accused of firing 40 shots at law enforcement
- Freeze threatens unique tropical farm 28 min ago
- Bulldog gang members have gun battle with officer
- Fracking: Central Valley boom or nightmare?
- Newtown 911 dispatcher urged callers to take cover
- Mexico: Stolen radioactive cobalt box found empty
- 10 whales dead, dozens stranded in Everglades
- A wish is coming true for a South Valley girl
- Fresno supervisors approve moving coroner to sheriff
- OTRC: Paul Walker autopsy results released
- BART train evacuated after brake problem
- Family blames company for flammable water
- Man tries to kill ex-girlfriend by setting fire to home
- Blue jean bandits hit Eye Candy Fashion Boutique
- Accuweather Forecast
26 min ago