Fresno firefighters are investigating a suspicious fire
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Just before 3 a.m. Thursday morning fire fighters were called to Chestnut and Laurel. That's where they found two different fires burning in an apartment complex under construction.
Firefighters were able to quickly knock down the flames, but not before the fire destroyed a $50,000 backhoe tractor.
They say it could have been much worse.
"These apartments behind me have been framed in. The roofs are on, the siding is up. But there is no sheetrock yet. So the potential was there for the fires to get a good hold of the building. However the fires were caught before they got to that point," said Ted Semonious with the Fresno Fire Department.
Firefighters say this fire is likely linked to a string of small arson fires across southeast Fresno in the last month.
arson, fire, crimetracker, fresno southeast, fresno, fresno county, local
- USGS: 6.9 earthquake hits 50 miles west of Eureka
- Calif. emissions law could make gas prices jump
- Police: Man killed in Fresno gang-related shooting
- Man accused of killing Parlier coach identified
- Investigators chase 'every angle' in missing jet
- Bees attack drivers after SoCal car crash
- Man holds out atop roof of San Diego FBI building
- Toddler uses FaceTime to help mom after dog bite
- 1 arrested, 1 sought after Visalia Save Mart robbery
- Woman fatally shot by Fresno police identified
- Mexico government 100 pct sure drug capo killed
- 2 dozen injured as California school stage falls
- New Target store opens in Northwest Fresno
- Pistorius trial: Stunning testimony in 1st week