Fresno's Good Samaritan receives national attention
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A national spotlight is shining on Fresno Wednesday after a Good Samaritan rescued an eight-year-old girl from a suspected kidnapper.
Victor Perez didn't set out to be a hero Tuesday morning. But he saw the kidnapping story on Action News AM Live and then, he saw the suspect's pickup truck in his own neighborhood.
What he did next has caught the attention of the entire country. "But we begin, George, with the heroic rescue of an 8-year-old girl kidnapped while playing outside her home," said Robin Roberts as she opened the Wednesday morning edition of Good Morning America.
GMA came to the Valley to tell Perez's remarkable story. The construction worker-turned-grape picker spotted a suspected kidnapper, gave chase, and eventually helped the eight-year-old victim get free.
"Were you concerned that he had a weapon?" Roberts asked him.
"The second time I reached him, the way he reacted, yes I was," said Perez. "For a split second I was nervous until I saw the little girl and all fear was out the window after that. I wasn't thinking for me any more. I was just thinking we need to get that little girl to safety."
Perez was still absorbing what happened as he told his story to several network news shows alongside Fresno Police Chief Jerry Dyer. But he's knows he's giving the whole country a sense that even in bad times, good things can happen in the Valley.
"It feels good to know that at least in my part, we still do care out there," Perez told Action News. "We don't just close our doors and say forget about it. We actually go out there and see what we can do."
Since the story aired on Good Morning America Wednesday morning, Action News has received several calls from people who want to give him gifts and money.
He says what he wants most is just another good-paying job in the construction industry.
kidnapping, fresno downtown, fresno central, fresno, fresno county, local, corin hoggard
- Man found dead with gunshot wounds in Visalia
- Triple stabbing in East Central Fresno
- FDA proposes first regulations for e-cigarettes 50 min ago
- Visalia Police: Street racer crashes into mattress store
- Fire sprinklers cause flooding at FCOE after small fire
- Sanger police chase ends in crash
- Israel halts peace talks with Palestinians
- Man killed in rollover crash near Caruthers
- Wyoming gas explosion prompts evacuation of town
- Clashes in east Ukraine leave at least 2 dead
- Activists: Syrian airstrikes in north kill 18
- Scientists locate 19th century steamship in SF Bay
- Mom bites off dog's ear to save daughter during attack
- Man worried 'MURDER' tattoo might hurt his case