Dead body discovered in Merced County almond orchard
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Merced County Sheriff's Deputies are investigating a homicide - after farmworkers found a man's body in an orchard.
They made the disturbing discovery near Gustine, just off Highway 33 at Borba Road.
Detectives say the workers saw the man in the almond orchard earlier in the day and thought he was sleeping. But when he was still there hours later, they approached him and realized he might be dead.
One of those workers tells Action News -- the man's hands were tied together. "When we came back we had it on our minds that it could be a person who needs help. We turned around, and we saw that he was tied up so we called the police," said Osvaldo Vega.
Deputies confirm there were obvious signs of foul play. But they have not yet determined the victim's cause of death or identity.
murder, crimetracker, merced, merced county, gustine, local
- 4.1 earthquake shakes the Central Valley
- Fresno City Council holds public hearing on Westlake development
- Vigil held for victims of gang violence in Porterville
- Former Clovis cop will face domestic violence trial
- FUSD fears losing millions for low-income students
- Marathoner Fresno police officer outruns serial burglar
- Gang member arrested after ABC30 story comment
- Clovis crash leaves motorcycle rider in critical condition
- How to make Christmas cookies and cocktails
- Merced Co. industrial explosion kills 1, injures 2
- Woman twerking serves as lookout for alleged burglar
- Chief Dyer testifies in excessive force trial
- Police say internet cafe doubled as gambling house
- Son sought in beating of parents in Fresno