Man shot and killed by Fresno County Sheriff's Deputies
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A 58-year-old man is dead after being shot by Fresno County Sheriff's deputies. Investigators said Richard Rodriguez had a .22-caliber rifle on him when officers approached his home near Jensen and Brawley. Investigators said Rodriguez may have had a history with deputies.
Two veteran Fresno County Deputies shot and killed 58-year-old Richard Rodriguez at his home Saturday afternoon. Sheriff Margaret Mims said two hours before the shooting deputies broke up a fight between Rodriguez and his brother at the same house.
Mims: "The two brothers had been involved in mutual combat and neither one of them wanted to press charges against the other and deputies left."
Shortly before noon Rodriguez's father called the Sheriff's office saying his son was threatening suicide.
Action News spoke with a neighbor that did not want to be identified by name but said he saw two deputies outside his home. "I just saw the officers pull up over here, load up their guns and walk through the neighbor's property and later on heard a few gun shots. Probably like seven or eight gun shots."
Detectives do not know who fired first and are not yet willing to call this death suicide by cop. No one else inside the home was injured during the gun fight. Investigators said they've responded to 911 calls at the Rodriguez home before.
Mims: "The history is, I've heard several deputies say they have responded to this call in years past but I don't know if there is any incidence of guns involved. That will be part of the investigation."
fresno county sheriff department, sheriff margaret mims, fresno, fresno county, shooting, crimetracker, local, john-thomas kobos
- Lilly 2 fire in Yosemite Lakes 80 percent contained
- Yahoo takes big leap with $1.1B deal for Tumblr
- The skinny on fitness video games
- The final push for California's 16th Senate seat
- Fresno Police open fire on suspect after bike chase
- La Tapatia fire prompts two business to evacuate in Fresno
- Hundreds of UC Merced students receive their degrees
- OTRC: Billboard Music Awards 2013 winners list
- Photos: Best moments at Billboard Awards 2013
- Firebaugh man kills home invasion suspect with a sword
- Investigators look into Merced house fire
- California Classic Weekend half marathon
- Visalia PD cracks down on underage drinking
- Welty's final commencement at Fresno State
- Lilly 2 fire in Yosemite Lakes 80 percent...
11 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos