Opportunity knocks for Victor Perez
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- The Fresno man who gained national recognition for helping save a kidnapped girl -- is himself on the way to a brighter future.
Victor Perez put his own life on the line to save the 8-year-old girl last week. He's an unemployed construction worker who was at home when he saw images of the suspect's truck on TV.
Tuesday, he stopped by the Contractor State License Services office in Northwest Fresno to receive a scholarship so he can earn his contractor's license.
The company's founder read about Perez in the LA Times, and offered to pay the $1,500.00 worth of fees for the 90-day course.
License Advisor, Maureen Esses said, "It's just wonderful to see a man like you that's willing to do something like that and so anything we can do, if this is going to help make your life better we are so pleased."
Perez said, "It's just so surreal man. This is probably the happiest day right now like going back to school."
Perez remains humble amid a wave of attention. He's been on Good Morning America, honored by the governor, and received a standing ovation at the Bulldog football game.
Victor says he just hopes the construction industry starts to pick up after he gets his license.
victor perez, fresno, fresno county, kidnapping, local, dale yurong
- Woman fatally struck by vehicle on Highway 180 46 min ago
- Fresno cracks down on stolen shopping carts
- Valley veteran surprised with Purple Heart 11 min ago
- Obama says Crimea separation would violate law
- Dustin Gran murder trial gets underway in Modesto
- Consumer Reports: Beware of tax scams
- Downtown Fresno gas leak prompts evacuations
- Man sentenced in fatal Los Banos DUI crash
- Russian power play: Crimea vote on joining Russia
- Business leaders discuss drought impact
- Fresno man pleads guilty to murdering father 39 min ago
- Businessman announces run for Fresno City Council
- Murderer apologizes for killing pregnant woman
- Who will be Mayor?
- Valley veteran surprised with Purple Heart
15 min ago
- Woman fatally struck by vehicle on Highway...
48 min ago