Two found dead in a Merced County home
WINTON, Calif. (KFSN) -- Two people were found dead in a Merced County home Wednesday morning, and now sheriff's deputies say it may be a case of murder-suicide.
The bodies of a man and woman were discovered in the home on Anne Circle near Myrtle Avenue in Winton.
Deputies say one of the woman's two teenage sons called 9-1-1 Wednesday morning after finding his mother dead. When detectives arrived they found her body ... and a man's body. Now they're investigating whether it is a case of murder-suicide.
The crime that left a man and woman dead inside a Winton home has left neighbors shocked.
Tammy Bruley said, "They were very quiet, nice people. I've known them for a long time. It's just really sad, really scary."
Friends of the couple have identified them as Darryl and Christi McCarthy. The parents of 13 and 15-year-old sons. Deputies say the older brother called 9-1-1 Wednesday morning after finding his mother with obvious signs of trauma.
Deputy Tom Mackenzie said, "Unfortunately the children woke up and went in and the 15-year-old found the mom lying in the bedroom."
When paramedics arrived, they noticed signs of foul play, so they called the sheriff's office. Detectives went into the home and found the 44-year-old woman dead. Then they also discovered the body of a 48-year-old man on the ground next to the bed.
Mackenzie adds, "He was not in plain view, so the paramedics actually missed it the first time."
Deputies are not saying how the two were killed, but they believe it may be a murder suicide. One neighbor who did not want to be identified says she never heard the couple arguing, and she can't believe this could be a case of deadly domestic violence.
Neighbor: "It's just ... it can't be true is what I feel like."
Tammy Bruley adds the family often went camping and boating together. Now she's just worried about the couple's two teenage sons.
"I think it's sad, I can't believe they're left with nothing no, no parents at all," said Bruley. "It's just unbelievable."
The two boys were interviewed by detectives and then released to child protective services. The goal is to place them with family members if possible.
winton, merced, merced county, murder, homicide, crimetracker, local, sara sandrik
- Marathon tragedy inspires woman to help save lives
- 16-year-old survives in wheel well of Maui flight
- Man dies following shooting at Fresno apartment
- 2 nurses stabbed in separate SoCal hospital attacks
- Sikh community celebrates Vaisakhi in Caruthers
- Grim work for families as more bodies discovered
- Yemen: Airstrike targets al-Qaida training camps
- Malaysia, Flight 370 relatives talk financial help
- Pope Francis, huge crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- 7,000 Easter eggs rain down from helicopter
- Health Watch: 5 clues to Alzheimer's
- Consumer Reports evaluates top toilet papers
- Fresno 4/20 event fires up health advocates
- Prizefighter Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76