Greyhound Bus crash recreated by CHP
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Shortly after midnight, a charter bus re-traced the deadly route taken by the Greyhound Bus three months ago. To make it realistic, the actual SUV in which three young women were killed was brought to the scene then turned over on its side, on the highway just as it was on the night of July 22nd. Several Highway Patrol Investigators drove the charter bus, at varying speeds, to get an idea if the bus driver had time to see, and swerve to avoid the SUV.
Highway Patrol Public Information Officer Axel Reyes said: "We want to make sure we do a thorough investigation, and get all of our facts straight."
The facts so far indicate the SUV swerved and overturned on the highway. The driver, believed by the CHP to be 18-year-old Sylvia Garay is alleged to have been driving under the influence of alcohol. It's believed she and her two passengers, 20-year-old Stephanie Cordoba and 19-year-old Vanessa Gonzalez survived the rollover, but were killed when the bus hit their vehicle minutes later. The bus driver James Jewett was killed along with two passengers in the bus. Thomas Ponce and Epifinia Solis. The reconstruction may help settle the question of who is responsible. While the SUV driver has been blamed her family and others believe the bus driver should have been able to avoid the accident.
Attorney Robert Gilmore represents Garay's family. He was among several attorneys who observed the re-enactment. "More than anything else we are interested obviously in seeing a fair reconstruction of this accident by the CHP."
Lawsuits have been filed against the owner of the SUV, the driver's mother, as well as against Greyhound. The results of this re-enactment are expected to be key pieces of evidence in determining who was responsible for the deadly collision.
greyhound, fresno, fresno county, california highway patrol, local, gene haagenson
- 'Sextortion' suspect set for freedom
- Trash dispute apparently led to fatal shooting 20 min ago
- New details unfold in fatal Fresno PD shooting
- Amber Alert canceled: Long Beach boy found safe
- Madera Co. shooting tied to drugs, investigators say 9 min ago
- Los Angeles police arrest man in severed head case
- Electricity problems hit Fresno Co. Sheriff's Office
- USGS: 6.9 earthquake hits 50 miles west of Eureka
- Calif. emissions law could make gas prices jump
- Russia warns Ukraine over 'lawlessness' in east
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act
- Police: Man killed in Fresno gang-related shooting
- Bees attack drivers after SoCal car crash
- Photos: Pictures from Malaysia Airlines incident
- Did Craigslist play role in Madera Co....
9 min ago