Free health fair held at Fresno Shopping Center
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Hundreds of people showed up for the chance to get free health screenings at a Fresno shopping center Sunday.
14 stations offered everything from blood work to dentistry at the Manchester center today. All offered at no cost.
The health fair is held several times a year and is organized by a Fresno doctor who saw a need among those who can't afford healthcare.
Several doctors volunteer their time during each event -- and organizers say the help can be life saving.
"Last time we found 20 new diabetics, people who didn't even know they had diabetes. There are a number of people with a heart problem, diabetes. Today we found someone with carcinoma... That's unusual, and that could kill somebody," Health Fair Organizer Dr. Mohammad Ashraf said.
Dr. Ashraf says follow up appointments are also scheduled on the spot for those who need them. They, too are free.
fresno, health care, local
- USGS: 6.9 earthquake hits 50 miles west of Eureka
- Calif. emissions law could make gas prices jump
- Police: Man killed in Fresno gang-related shooting
- Man accused of killing Parlier coach identified
- Investigators chase 'every angle' in missing jet
- Man holds out atop roof of San Diego FBI building 3 min ago
- Toddler uses FaceTime to help mom after dog bite
- 1 arrested, 1 sought after Visalia Save Mart robbery
- Woman fatally shot by Fresno police identified
- Mexico government 100 pct sure drug capo killed
- 2 dozen injured as California school stage falls
- New Target store opens in Northwest Fresno
- Pistorius trial: Stunning testimony in 1st week
- Putin defends separatist drive in Crimea as legal