Hubbard-Baro Memorial Golf Tournament
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- The tributes to veterans continued into the evening here in the valley on this Veterans Day. Family and friends of several Clovis graduates killed in combat took part in an annual fundraiser that's gotten bigger every year.
A celebratory mood filled this banquet room inside Northeast Fresno's Fort Washington Country Club Thursday. This dinner capped off a full day of golf and special Veterans Day tributes.
The Hubbard-Baro Memorial Golf Tournament started six years ago, to honor Jeremiah Baro and Jared Hubbard.
The Buchanan High School graduates were best friends who died together in Iraq in 2004.
Jeff Hubbard said, "It's real important to see that's appreciated by everybody, and on a personal level it just makes me feel so supported by the community around me."
Jeff Hubbard is Jared Hubbard's father. Another son, Nathan was also killed in Iraq back in 2007.
The two brothers join a long list of Clovis natives who died while fighting the war on terror. In all, nine servicemen have been killed since 2004 ... seven of them went to Buchanan High School.
A memorial at the school lists their names including, Lance Corporal Anthony Butterfield.
Robin Butterfield said, "He just made us so proud. He'd be honored. All the boys would be so honored."
Nearly $40,000 raised at Thursday's tournament will benefit the VA hospital.
A fitting tribute this community says will continue for years to come.
Dennis Hamamjian said, "We feel bad that when we lose our loved ones and we lose people that put their lives on the line for us."
"They have what they have and they get to do what they do because of our men and women that go and protect that."
afghanistan war, iraq war, clovis, fresno county, local, shannon handy
- Juvenile seriously injured in Planada shooting 14 min ago
- Helicopter crashes while warming citrus grove
- Man arrested after a shooting spree in Fresno
- Freeze affects Valley's $1.5 billion citrus industry
- Truck driver pinned while making delivery in Fresno
- Pulmonary Rehab: Healing with music
- Derek Carr not on Heisman Trophy finalist list
- Surviving the mall's food court
- 18 LA sheriff's deputies face US charges
- Selma High grad, Bobby Cox, elected to Hall of Fame
- 3 cars and FAX bus involved in crash
- Hanford man found dead inside a car in Armona
- Deputies search for missing 31-year-old Fresno man
- Fatal car accident kills pedestrian in Merced