High speed chase in Atwater after man shot
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A shooting in Atwater Saturday night left one man dead and led police on a high speed chase from Atwater to Madera.
Atwater police say a 21-year-old man was shot and killed on Bellevue Road near Stone Creek Drive. A nearby officer saw a car with no license plate speeding away from the area.
The officer was able to stop the car near Bellevue Road and Santa Fe Road but as he approached the vehicle, the driver sped away.
The officer chased the car into the city of Merced, at speeds of over 100 miles per hour but because of safety concerns the officer was forced to slow down, and the other driver got away.
The suspect escaped in what's being described as a gold, mid 90's Cadillac Deville. The shooting is believed to be gang related.
Anyone with information is asked to contact the Atwater Police Department.NEWS BY LOCATION | ABC30 BLOGS | DISCUSSION FORUMS
BECOME A FAN ON FACEBOOK | FOLLOW ABC30 ON TWITTER
high speed chase, merced, madera, local
- One person dead in Northwest Fresno accident 46 min ago
- Valley veteran surprised with Purple Heart
- Dustin Gran murder trial gets underway in Modesto
- Unemployment rises to 6.7 percent in February
- Fresno County veteran receives national award
- Woman fatally struck by vehicle on Highway 180
- Fresno cracks down on stolen shopping carts
- Con man steals millions from elderly
- Man sentenced in fatal Los Banos DUI crash
- Photos: 16th-century 'rocket cat' weaponry pictures
- Obama says Crimea separation would violate law
- Growers discuss issues at Citrus Showcase
- Consumer Reports: Beware of tax scams
- Downtown Fresno gas leak prompts evacuations