Fatal shootout between cars shutdown Highway 99 near Merced
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- 30-year-old Pheng Xiong of Winton died in a deadly shootout that forced investigators to shut down the northbound lanes of HWY 99 between Franklin and Buhach for several hours Wednesday night. They have since re-opened.
The deadly shootout in Merced forced investigators to shut down the northbound lanes between Franklin and Buhach for several hours Wednesday night. It has since re-opened.
Deputies say just before 8 p.m. Wednesday night, calls started pouring in about an overturned car off the road. Investigators discovered someone had fired several bullets at the car before it crashed into the backyard of a house.
Deputies say the man driving the car had a number of gunshot wounds and died at the scene. Detectives believe it was gang related.
"I don't wanna panic the public that there's some maniac up and down Highway 99 with a road rage incident, but we believe through preliminary investigation that there are gang overtones," said Mark Pazin with the Merced County Sheriff's Department.
Deputies say a motorcyclist tried to help the victim after the crash. They're hoping that person will come forward with information.NEWS BY LOCATION | ABC30 BLOGS | DISCUSSION FORUMS
BECOME A FAN ON FACEBOOK | FOLLOW ABC30 ON TWITTER
gang, shooting, merced, winton, merced county, merced county sheriff department, local, shannon handy
- Merced police on scene of attempted homicide 1 min ago
- Teenage boy shot and killed in Tulare
- Focus turns to pilots as hunt for jet widens
- Visalia man accused of sexually exploiting boy
- FSU women's basketball headed to NCAA tournament
- Amber Alert issued for 4 LA-area children
- Visalia shooting sends man to hospital
- Man arrested after Hanford drug and weapons bust
- Ukraine says Russian forces move outside Crimea
- Honda recalling 886,815 Odyssey minivans
- Chowchilla Western Stampede attracts visitors
- Merced County marijuana grow lands man in jail
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies
- Vigil held for slain Parlier football coach