Turkey Trot at Woodward Park in Fresno
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Thousands turned out for the 11th Annual Turkey Trot in northeast Fresno to try to burn off some calories before the big meal.
Nearly 2,000 runners and walkers braved the freezing temperatures for an 8 a.m. start time at Woodward Park.
The runners tackled a 5k course and the walkers did a 2 mile walk.
Some participants donned crazy costumes to get into the holiday spirit including pilgrims and Native Americans, an enormous Gumby and a tortoise and a hare.
The run benefits needy Fresno families with thanksgiving baskets and Buchanan and Clovis West's cross country teams.
Organizers say Thursday's turnout was impressive especially considering the cold weather.NEWS BY LOCATION | ABC30 BLOGS | DISCUSSION FORUMS
BECOME A FAN ON FACEBOOK | FOLLOW ABC30 ON TWITTER
fresno county, fresno, woodward park, local
- SW Fresno crash sends 12 people to hospital
- Family remembers murder victim, forgetting killer
- Missing plane: Piracy theory gains more credence 8 min ago
- FDIC sues 16 big banks that set key rate
- Valley residents seeing more black widow spiders
- States sue over California's egg laws 21 min ago
- West readies sanctions on Russia after Crimea vote
- Sailor in iconic WWII photo dies
- Trevor Bishop charged with murder in child death
- Fresno cop investigated for auto theft, drugs
- Chef Shayna's Irish favorites
- Photos: Chef Shayna Shareable Recipes
- YouTube: Newborn Gorilla Recovers After Emergency...
- John Hancock observatory in Chicago to Tilt