Turkey Trot at Woodward Park in Fresno
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Thousands turned out for the 11th Annual Turkey Trot in northeast Fresno to try to burn off some calories before the big meal.
Nearly 2,000 runners and walkers braved the freezing temperatures for an 8 a.m. start time at Woodward Park.
The runners tackled a 5k course and the walkers did a 2 mile walk.
Some participants donned crazy costumes to get into the holiday spirit including pilgrims and Native Americans, an enormous Gumby and a tortoise and a hare.
The run benefits needy Fresno families with thanksgiving baskets and Buchanan and Clovis West's cross country teams.
Organizers say Thursday's turnout was impressive especially considering the cold weather.NEWS BY LOCATION | ABC30 BLOGS | DISCUSSION FORUMS
BECOME A FAN ON FACEBOOK | FOLLOW ABC30 ON TWITTER
fresno county, fresno, woodward park, local
- Man shot in head while sitting in Fresno apartment 27 min ago
- Man accused of molesting minor, having child porn
- Crime spree ends with 2 arrested in Fresno
- Magnitude-7.2 earthquake shakes Mexican capital
- Two convicted in murder of Fresno sex offender
- Police raid LA Times building after threat reports
- California farmers to get more water
- Heart of the Horse is expanding
- Captain of sunken South Korean ferry arrested
- Air National Guard honors city of Madera 43 min ago
- Calwa Catholics mark Good Friday with procession
- Twin boys fight off carjacker in Texas
- Michaels Crafts data breach, nearly 3M compromised
- Good Sports: Cheerforce Vengeance