Bishop Steinbocks health declining
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Valley Catholics are offering prayers for Bishop John Steinbock as his office makes a sad announcement about his deteriorating health.
Bishop Steinbock has been undergoing treatment for stage three lung cancer since August. On Saturday, the Catholic Diocese of Fresno announced he may not last more than a few days.
Bishop Steinbock is in critical condition at Saint Agnes Medical Center. News of his declining health has spread quickly.
Now, Catholics all over the Valley are praying for his recovery.
Parishioners attending mass at saint Anthony of Padua Catholic Church in Northwest Fresno Saturday.....were asked to say a special prayer for Bishop John Steinbock.
Jim Briccow says, "There's not a mass or prayer that goes by that he's not a special intention. In fact, it's offered at every service. Has been for some time."
The Catholic Diocese of Fresno says the bishop's physical condition has gradually worsened... and that breathing has become more difficult
The diocese says they believe he may pass in a few days. "Oh, we're sad. He's been helping the church so long. He's sick. I hope he gets better, but it doesn't seem like.....just say our prayers," Steven Chavez said.
Bishop Steinbock has been battling stage three lung cancer since august.
Last month, he was admitted to saint Agnes medical center-- after doctors found blood clots in his right lung and in his legs. His battle with cancer has touched some Catholics in more ways than one.
"Oh, I had cancer too, so I know what he's going through and I wish him the best and he's a precious person to me," Alice Capone said.
Bishop Steinbock oversees 86 parishes throughout Central California. Parishioners say they will continue to pray for a miracle.
"Oh, I think it's very tough because he means so much to everyone and everyone admires him for what he's going through."
Diocese officials say Bishop Steinbock's family is aware of his condition. They have visited him in the hospital. But, at this point, no one from the public is allowed.NEWS BY LOCATION | ABC30 BLOGS | DISCUSSION FORUMS
BECOME A FAN ON FACEBOOK | FOLLOW ABC30 ON TWITTER
fresno, fresno county, saint agnes medical center, local, shannon handy
- Deputies shoot at suspect after patrol car rammed 31 min ago
- California AG promotes bills to reduce truancy
- Robot helps in design of High-Speed Rail
- Trash dispute apparently led to fatal shooting
- 'Sextortion' suspect set for freedom
- Search widens for missing Malaysian passenger jet
- Madera Co. shooting tied to drugs, investigators say
- Homeowners asked to prepare for busy fire season
- Clovis man gets prison time in laser-pointer case
- Russia warns Ukraine over 'lawlessness' in east
- Marketplace at El Paseo holds grand opening
- PlayStation 4's faulty parental controls
- Hip surgery complication: Uneven limbs
- Video: Take a tour of the 'smartphone home'