Clovis Marine's funeral scheduled for Saturday
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- The body of a valley marine that died in combat -- is back in the United States.
Sergeant Matthew Abbate died last Thursday in Afghanistan. Family members say the 26-year-old was killed by enemy gunfire.
His flag-draped casket arrived at Dover Air Force Base in Delaware on Saturday.
Governor Schwarzenegger ordered flags at the state capitol to fly at half-staff today in his honor.
Sgt. Abbate is also the 8th former Buchanan High School student to die fighting the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.
The public is invited to attend Sergeant Abbate's funeral this Saturday at Peoples Church in Fresno.
It's located on Cedar Avenue -- just north of Herndon. Services begin at 10:00 a.m.NEWS BY LOCATION | ABC30 BLOGS | DISCUSSION FORUMS
BECOME A FAN ON FACEBOOK | FOLLOW ABC30 ON TWITTER
afghanistan, afghanistan war, clovis, local
- Huge tornado hits Oklahoma City suburb, kills 51
- Impact of Oklahoma tornado devastation felt in Valley
- Teacher convicted of sex with student sentenced
- Fire breaks out at winery near Reedley
- Tower District crimes attacked head-on
- Valley Works: Educational partnership providing opportunities
- FPU hopes Wilson is answer for women's hoops
- Experts say warm spring means more bugs
- Valley gets cutting-edge way to treat skin blemishes
- Search for new Fresno State president wrapping up
- Fowler High School holds college signing day
- Lilly 2 fire in Yosemite Lakes 80 percent contained
- Yahoo takes big leap with $1.1B deal for Tumblr
- Cement truck overturns on HWY 99 to HWY 180 interchange
- Accuweather Forecast
8 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos