Baby found in Le Grand; burned body is missing Planada woman
MERCED, Calif. (KFSN) -- There were two big developments in a Merced murder mystery. The coroner on Tuesday identified the body of the victim as that of the missing woman, and a baby boy, who could be her son was found abandoned on a doorstep in a nearby town.
Family members gathered in Merced, at the home of the dead woman's mother. They were devastated by news the body found burning in an orchard last week was identified as that of 26-year-old Ana Diaz De Ceya.
Her cousin, Ynarra Granados said; "We are feeling destroyed. We don't know why it happened. We don't know why it happened .We just want everyone to help us out and figure out who did this because they have to pay for everything they've done."
The only hope for this family is that a baby boy, discovered naked on the porch of a home in the town of Le Grande is that of Ana's son, Anthony, who disappeared with her.
Bianca Zaragoza Ana's sister in-law said; "We still don't know if the baby they found is Anthony Diaz, but we're hoping it is."
The baby was found on the doorstep of Sonny Rodriguez' house. Her neighbor alerted her when he saw the baby early Tuesday morning.
Rodrigues said; "Our first reaction was get him inside, rub his body, try to get him warm enough because he wasn't moving very much."
Merced County Sheriff Mark Pazin said the baby is hospitalized. "It was fortunate the neighbor did find the infant when he did because the core temperature of the infant was down to 86 degrees."
Pazin said it may take several days to positively identify the baby.
The husband of the dead woman. Luis Ceja said he is hoping the baby is his son. He said he is devastated by his wife's death, and through an interpreter said; "I don't have any idea what happened."
Sheriff's investigators questioned Luis Ceja and several of his family members again shortly after identifying the body. Authorities removed Cejas' five year old son from the home, but family members told u he was later returned. At this point, the Sheriff says there are no suspects, but lots of pieces to put together.NEWS BY LOCATION | ABC30 BLOGS | DISCUSSION FORUMS
BECOME A FAN ON FACEBOOK | FOLLOW ABC30 ON TWITTER
merced, merced county, legrand, snelling, crimetracker, missing person, murder, local, gene haagenson
- Fresno couple wins $1 million on scratcher
- No time added for killer of Atwater prison guard
- Arrest made in Tulare County officer-involved shooting 41 min ago
- Drop in Valley flu cases
- Senator: CIA improperly searched computer network
- Tiger Cubs make big debut at Fresno Chaffee Zoo
- Crimea's parliament pushes for independence
- California AG promotes bills to reduce truancy
- Vet saves poisoned dog with vodka
- Obama's surprise turn on 'Between Two Ferns'
- Trash dispute apparently led to fatal shooting
- Interpol shows image of 2 Iranians on missing jet
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos