Fatal crash on HWY 99 in Tipton
TIPTON, Calif. (KFSN) -- At least one person is dead after a fatal accident in Tulare County.
It happened a early Friday morning on the northbound lanes of Highway 99 near Poplar Avenue. That's in Tipton and just south of Tulare.
The Highway Patrol said a vehicle and big rig collided. Investigators say it looks like the 31-year-old Bakersfield man was speeding when he rear-ended the 18-wheeler.
The C.H.P. says it took an hour and a half to get the man out of his truck. A portion of northbound 99 had to be shut down for a short time but it has since been reopened.
The C.H.P. is still trying to determine where the driver was headed in such a rush. A child safety seat was the truck but no one else was in the vehicle.
The driver of the big rig was not injured.
Investigators are still at the scene. They say fog was not a factor in the crash.
Stay with Action News and ABC30.com for more on this developing story.NEWS BY LOCATION | ABC30 BLOGS | DISCUSSION FORUMS
BECOME A FAN ON FACEBOOK | FOLLOW ABC30 ON TWITTER
tipton, tulare county, local
- Community bands together for Officer Jon Linzey
- High court upholds Delta Smelt protection
- Fresno cop investigated for auto theft, drugs
- Man missing near Shaver Lake found alive and well
- More than 400 guns were seized in SoCal
- Family headed to DC for father's Medal of Honor
- Valley Sikhs speak out on bullying report
- Police fight spike in Tower District crime
- Peach Blossom Festival growing each year
- Merced authorities see rise in honey oil explosions
- Musical mavericks make waves
- Pet Adoption of the Week: Lady Bug
- Fallout from Target's data breach
- Street sweeper finds shooting victim in Fresno