Latina farm workers in Fresno State breast cancer study
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- The farm workers who toil in the fields of the Central Valley can be exposed to lots of pesticides. Substances related to the long banned DDT are still in use. Dr. Jason Bush, a Biology Professor at Fresno State University says it's believed these chemicals, known as Organo-Chlorines are a potential threat to people, especially women.
"Organo-chlorines tend to mimic estrogen and there are two really bad properties of these chemicals, one they persist in the environment they don't get broken down, they can stay for decades." Bush says the other bad property about these chemicals is that they can accumulate and stay in fat cells like breast tissue.
"If these particular chemicals are being accumulated in the breast fat tissue in the breast they potentially represent a source of coincident estrogen that could send triggers that start to develop tumors."
Fresno State's Cancer Biology Program is getting a $1.2 million grant from the National Cancer Institute to study the effects of these agricultural chemicals on female Hispanic farm workers. It's just one aspect of the cancer research going on here.
Graduate Student Jinsha Liu is doing general cancer research. "My project is really related to two factors which are important in the cancer metastasize." Liu is from China, but one goal of the cancer program at Fresno State is to attract local and minority students to cancer research, and Bush wants to let them know they can make a difference in the health of their community.
"Our Valley is polluted we've got a lot of things in the air in the water that need to be looked at."NEWS BY LOCATION | ABC30 BLOGS | DISCUSSION FORUMS
BECOME A FAN ON FACEBOOK | FOLLOW ABC30 ON TWITTER
fresno, fresno county, california state university fresno, local, gene haagenson
- Deputies shoot at suspect after patrol car rammed
- Senator: CIA improperly searched computer network
- California AG promotes bills to reduce truancy
- Trash dispute apparently led to fatal shooting
- Interpol shows image of 2 Iranians on missing jet
- Photos: Countdown: The 25 highest-paid musicians
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Robot helps in design of High-Speed Rail
- George the Giraffe thanks kind students
- 'Sextortion' suspect set for freedom
- Search widens for missing Malaysian passenger jet
- Madera Co. shooting tied to drugs, investigators say
- Homeowners asked to prepare for busy fire season
- Clovis man gets prison time in laser-pointer case