Merced County couple pleads not guilty to murder, kidnapping charges
MERCED COUNTY, Calif. (KFSN) -- The man and woman arrested for a murder and a plot to steal the victim's baby learned they could face the death penalty.
Teresa Robles and Jose Velarde both pleaded "not guilty" from inside the Merced County Jail. They're facing charges of murder, kidnapping, and child abuse. Detectives say they killed Ana Diaz De Ceja and snatched her baby son, Anthony.
The victim's family crammed into the courthouse to get their first look at the suspects. Even after getting Anthony back, they say they won't be satisfied unless Robles and Velarde are put to death.
The victim's husband, Luis Ceja said through an interpreter, "He feels relieved that his boy is back, but he feels emptiness because his wife is never coming back."
Robles and Velarde were arrested Wednesday night and baby Anthony was returned to his family Thursday.
Prosecutors say it's a capital case that could lead the suspects to death row.NEWS BY LOCATION | ABC30 BLOGS | DISCUSSION FORUMS
BECOME A FAN ON FACEBOOK | FOLLOW ABC30 ON TWITTER
court, crimetracker, murder, kidnapping, merced, merced county, snelling, planada, local, corin hoggard
- Group finds 'structurally deficient' bridges in Valley
- Stabbing victim well known in the Tower District
- Fire truck overturns in collision in SE Fresno
- Man arrested for death of baby girl at LNAS
- Are there enough police officers in Visalia?
- Good Sports: Kensuke Tanaka
- Dentist sentenced for son's dentist chair overdose
- Fresno's bike lane battle continues
- Lawmakers want to restore dental care to Medi-Cal
- Hotels helping displaced guests after Oakhurst Lodge fire
- Brad Pitt face blindness
- Clovis standoff ends peacefully, suspect in custody
- Top Valley grad rises from humble roots
- Three shot, two dead in Merced shooting