Merced County couple pleads not guilty to murder, kidnapping charges
MERCED COUNTY, Calif. (KFSN) -- The man and woman arrested for a murder and a plot to steal the victim's baby learned they could face the death penalty.
Teresa Robles and Jose Velarde both pleaded "not guilty" from inside the Merced County Jail. They're facing charges of murder, kidnapping, and child abuse. Detectives say they killed Ana Diaz De Ceja and snatched her baby son, Anthony.
The victim's family crammed into the courthouse to get their first look at the suspects. Even after getting Anthony back, they say they won't be satisfied unless Robles and Velarde are put to death.
The victim's husband, Luis Ceja said through an interpreter, "He feels relieved that his boy is back, but he feels emptiness because his wife is never coming back."
Robles and Velarde were arrested Wednesday night and baby Anthony was returned to his family Thursday.
Prosecutors say it's a capital case that could lead the suspects to death row.NEWS BY LOCATION | ABC30 BLOGS | DISCUSSION FORUMS
BECOME A FAN ON FACEBOOK | FOLLOW ABC30 ON TWITTER
court, crimetracker, murder, kidnapping, merced, merced county, snelling, planada, local, corin hoggard
- Woman dies in NE Fresno officer-involved shooting
- Parlier man shot and killed; neighbor arrested
- China-bound Malaysian jet vanishes with 239 aboard
- Crews battle large fire at Fresno County warehouse
- Man dies after being hit by train in Downtown Fresno
- Report: Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- Man who inspired Three Strikes law may be sentenced under it
- Fresno PD: Man sitting in street struck, killed by car
- Unemployment figures: Slight economic improvement
- California jury deadlocks in ex-NFL player's death
- Near drownings on the rise
- Students take part in robot competition in Madera
- SubCom companies thinking inside the box
- CIF Central Section Basketball Finals
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos