Merced County couple pleads not guilty to murder, kidnapping charges
MERCED COUNTY, Calif. (KFSN) -- The man and woman arrested for a murder and a plot to steal the victim's baby learned they could face the death penalty.
Teresa Robles and Jose Velarde both pleaded "not guilty" from inside the Merced County Jail. They're facing charges of murder, kidnapping, and child abuse. Detectives say they killed Ana Diaz De Ceja and snatched her baby son, Anthony.
The victim's family crammed into the courthouse to get their first look at the suspects. Even after getting Anthony back, they say they won't be satisfied unless Robles and Velarde are put to death.
The victim's husband, Luis Ceja said through an interpreter, "He feels relieved that his boy is back, but he feels emptiness because his wife is never coming back."
Robles and Velarde were arrested Wednesday night and baby Anthony was returned to his family Thursday.
Prosecutors say it's a capital case that could lead the suspects to death row.NEWS BY LOCATION | ABC30 BLOGS | DISCUSSION FORUMS
BECOME A FAN ON FACEBOOK | FOLLOW ABC30 ON TWITTER
court, crimetracker, murder, kidnapping, merced, merced county, snelling, planada, local, corin hoggard
- Large explosion, building collapse reported in Harlem 27 min ago
- Malaysian military says missing jet changed course
- Fresno couple wins $1 million on scratcher
- Arrest made in Tulare County officer-involved shooting
- Surveillance video released in Hanford murder
- No time added for killer of Atwater prison guard
- 5-alarm fire destroys SF building under construction
- Photos: Massive fire damages vacant building in SF
- Mariposa is putting limits on marijuana grows
- Noticeable drop in Valley flu cases
- New painkiller 10 times stronger than Vicodin
- Athletes embracing "extreme" exercise trends
- Senator: CIA improperly searched computer network
- Tiger Cubs make big debut at Fresno Chaffee Zoo