Deadly crash in Fresno County
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A 5-year-old boy is dead after a weather related accident on Highway 180 in Fresno County.
It happened around 5 p.m. Sunday night, just west of Temperance. The highway patrol says the boy's father lost control of their SUV during a sudden downpour.
The SUV spun into the center divider, ejecting the 5-year-old. The boy's mother and 1-year-old brother were also in the vehicle at the time of the crash.
The 1-year-old was not seriously injured.
Investigators at the scene were unable to find any car seats.
"At this time it appears there were no car seats in the vehicle. The five year old child, it's believed was restrained with a lap belt and a shoulder harness and it's unknown how the one year old was secured at the time," Sgt. Chris Finnegan said.
The three surviving family members were taken to Community Regional Medical Center in Downtown Fresno.
Their names have not been released but we're told the family is from Sanger.NEWS BY LOCATION | ABC30 BLOGS | DISCUSSION FORUMS
BECOME A FAN ON FACEBOOK | FOLLOW ABC30 ON TWITTER
auto, fresno, fresno county, storm, local, shannon handy
- Crews search for Fresno man near Shaver Lake
- Los Banos mom kicks teen in the head, police say
- Fresno's most notorious mass murder remembered
- Man accused of killing Parlier coach over trash dispute
- Fresno police connect vintage car thefts to guns, gangs
- Undercover: CPD stopping alcohol sales to minors
- Almond crop expected to take a massive hit
- Honey oil explosion ends with felony arrest
- Enforcing water restrictions in Madera County and City
- Requests to carry concealed guns surges in Calif.
- Fresno State launches Good Samaritan Fund
- Teachers are in demand at VUSD
- Report: Chinese site may show plane debris images
- California seeks to dam 3 Delta channels