Valley passengers affected by east coast delays
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- The northeast blizzard created headaches for air travelers here in the central valley.
There are no direct flights to the east coast from Fresno Yosemite International. But many passengers use this airport to fly to and from connecting cities including Dallas, Denver and San Francisco.
Action news talked with some passengers Monday night who told us they experienced long delays and even overnight stays at those connecting airports-- because flights were cancelled along the east coast.
Car rental agents say their counters have been busy with travelers who could not wait for a flight and decided to hit the road.
"I have to get to a certain place. I have to get here. So they have to come to the rental car agencies, end up spending an extra $200, $300 that they weren't planning on spending just to get to a location so they can catch another flight," JD Phillips said.
"All the other flights they were all delayed. Denver, East Coast, snowing everywhere," Jacob Clifton of Lemoore said. Clifton experienced two flight delays while in Boise Idaho.
He decided to roll the dice and get on a flight to San Francisco instead of staying overnight like some other passengers there.
The storm has even impacted local sports teams.
Fresno Monsters coach Eric Ballard says four of his star players are stuck in Boston and New York. Their next big game is in Washington in three days.
Airport officials want to remind travelers to call their airline before heading to the airport to find out about any delays.
The east coast blizzard forced airlines to cancel nearly 7,000 flights and will cost them $100 million.
It could be Friday until flights get back to a normal schedule.NEWS BY LOCATION | ABC30 BLOGS | DISCUSSION FORUMS
BECOME A FAN ON FACEBOOK | FOLLOW ABC30 ON TWITTER
fresno-yosemite international airport, fresno, fresno county, local, deshaunta bullock
- 'Sextortion' suspect set for freedom
- Trash dispute apparently led to fatal shooting
- New details unfold in fatal Fresno PD shooting
- Amber Alert canceled: Long Beach boy found safe
- Madera Co. shooting tied to drugs, investigators say 38 min ago
- Los Angeles police arrest man in severed head case
- Electricity problems hit Fresno Co. Sheriff's Office
- PlayStation 4's faulty parental controls
- Russia warns Ukraine over 'lawlessness' in east
- Calif. emissions law could make gas prices jump
- USGS: 6.9 earthquake hits 50 miles west of Eureka
- Photos: 10 suspects caught in the act
- Bees attack drivers after SoCal car crash
- Photos: Pictures from Malaysia Airlines incident
- Craigslist played role in Madera Co. shooting
37 min ago