Highway 59 closes due to failed levee
MERCED COUNTY, Calif. (KFSN) -- This is the second time Highway 59 has closed over the past two weeks. The initial problem was flooding on the roadway. That has since changed. The fields surrounding a portion of the highway are now submerged in water.
For the second time in the past two weeks, drivers in Merced County were forced to take a detour at Highway 59 and Reilly Street.
Bob Nutcher says the detour will add an extra ten minutes to his trip as he heads towards San Jose. "It just sucks, you know, I wanna go straight and go to where I gotta go, but I just gotta come back here and go around."
A series of storms forced the closure of Highway 59 because water from Mariposa Creek flowed across the highway. Sunday, the California Highway Patrol was dealt another blow when the levee breached and water washed over more than six acres of surrounding farmland.
For now, detours have been set up for both north and southbound traffic until the road reopens -- a process C.H.P. says could take days. "If this is still blocked off Monday, it will be a big deal."
Electronic signs have been posted on along Highways 99 and 59 to warn drivers about the closure.
If you're heading south, you'll have to take a detour at Reilly. If you're heading north, the detour starts at Sandy Mush.NEWS BY LOCATION | ABC30 BLOGS | DISCUSSION FORUMS
BECOME A FAN ON FACEBOOK | FOLLOW ABC30 ON TWITTER
merced county, flooding, local, shannon handy
- Man arrested for beating outside Elbow Room 31 min ago
- Fatal car accident kills pedestrian in Merced 57 min ago
- Valley farmers see minimal damage to citrus crops
- Fresno State to play USC Las Vegas Bowl
- 2 arrested in Tulare Co for allegedly shooting man several times 20 min ago
- 4 displaced after Central Fresno house fire 25 min ago
- Paul Walker memorial in California draws thousands
- Rain could pose threat to Valley orange crops
- Toys for Tots Marathon Weekend 2013
- Low elevation snow catches some off guard
- Ukraine sees largest anti-govt protest since 2004
- Man wanted for shooting near Fresno ice rink arrested
- Fresno State defeats Utah State 24-17
- Train hits pedestrian and dog in Central Fresno
- New Jersey restaurant parts ways with gay...
37 min ago
- Four displaced in Central Fresno house fire
36 min ago