Valley congressional leaders react to Tucson shooting
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- California congressional leaders are responding to this deadly public shooting. Gabrielle Giffords was close to two Valley representatives.
Action News spoke with both representatives Devin Nunes and Jim Costa. Costa was planning to meet up with Gabrielle Giffords next month in Florida for her husband's NASA space launch. The Valley representative said he last spoke to her on Thursday about the trip.
During a news conference late Saturday evening Representative Jim Costa explained his close connection with Arizona representative Gabrielle Giffords who was shot during a public speaking engagement in Tucson earlier in the day.
Both are Blue Dog Democrats. They have worked together for the last six years on agriculture and fiscals issues.
"She cares so much and she had a tough election last year as did I. And so that's for her family and the other injured we wish a full recovery," Costa said.
In San Francisco representative Nancy Pelosi led a moment of silence during an event.
Pelosi described Giffords as a "Brilliant and patriotic American."
"We stand before you with the deepest sadness for the act of violence that committed against our colleague, Congressman Gabby Giffords and her staff, her constituents and now we know a federal judge as well," Pelosi said.
Saturday afternoon in Visalia representative Devin Nunes conveyed his condolences for the victims and his fellow congressional member.
"I do know her and her husband and like her a lot. She's a very friendly person and someone who on the other side of the isle, being a Republican that we enjoy working with," Nunes said.
Both Nunes and Costa said they receive threats in the mail frequently and will review safety measures when in public.
But for right now they are not changing any procedures.NEWS BY LOCATION | ABC30 BLOGS | DISCUSSION FORUMS
BECOME A FAN ON FACEBOOK | FOLLOW ABC30 ON TWITTER
devin nunes, jim costa, nasa, shooting, fresno, fresno county, local, john-thomas kobos
- 'Sopranos' actor James Gandolfini, 51, dies 5 min ago
- Fresno City Manager Mark Scott resigns
- F-15 Fighter Jet touches down in Fresno
- James helps Heat stave off elimination in Game 6
- Treatment of mentally ill inmates in jail under scrutiny
- Natura recalls pet food after salmonella test
- Porterville to vote on gay pride proclamation
- Dave Chappelle is back with new Funny or Die tour
- Cancer killed serial killer Richard Ramirez
- Fresno family's dream comes true
- Grapes become Fresno Co 1st billion dollar crop
- Starbucks to post calorie counts for drinks
- Officer involved shooting in Visalia
- Teresa Ceja and Jose Velarde guilty of murder