Fog keeps Fowler school buses off the roads
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- The Fowler School District was hard hit by the fog, all nine of their buses stayed in the garage Friday morning. But school was still on, so it was up to parents like Mona Armenta to get their children to class.
"The fog was to bad I actually had to drive my daughter to school today. It's bad out there, real bad." Armenta said.
The district estimates foggy days like this cut attendance by from 8 to 10%. For this district of 23 hundred, that's more than 200 students.
Not only do they miss a day of learning, but Superintendent Eric Cederquist notes, the district loses money. "So, when students are not in school for being sick, for fog, for funerals, etcetera, we do not receive revenue for that child each day that they are not in school."
For Fowler Unified that's a cut in state funding of about $40 for each student who doesn't show up. Friday's fog cost the district around $8 thousand. But Cederquist says the absentee rate could be a lot higher. "Education is important in the Fowler and Malaga communities as a result parents find a way to get their children to school."
In this district the students who rely on the school bus live in rural areas, outside of town. Despite the hassles, parent Mona Armenta supports keeping the buses off the road in the fog. "I think that's a great idea not to put any of our children in jeopardy."
While fog may keep buses from running in the morning, it usually lifts by afternoon and students can be transported home.NEWS BY LOCATION | ABC30 BLOGS | DISCUSSION FORUMS
BECOME A FAN ON FACEBOOK | FOLLOW ABC30 ON TWITTER
fowler, fresno county, local, gene haagenson
- Deputies shoot at suspect after patrol car rammed
- California AG promotes bills to reduce truancy
- Search widens for missing Malaysian passenger jet
- Trash dispute apparently led to fatal shooting
- 'Sextortion' suspect set for freedom
- Madera Co. shooting tied to drugs, investigators say
- Homeowners asked to prepare for busy fire season
- Clovis man gets prison time in laser-pointer case
- Russia warns Ukraine over 'lawlessness' in east
- Marketplace at El Paseo holds grand opening
- PlayStation 4's faulty parental controls
- Hip surgery complication: Uneven limbs
- Video: Take a tour of the 'smartphone home'
- Photos: Pictures from Malaysia Airlines incident