Police search for Fresno beating, arson suspect
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Fresno Police are looking for an angry boyfriend who police say beat his girlfriend badly before setting their home on fire.
Manuel Canez is considered dangerous. Police want to talk to him about his girlfriend's injuries and the torched home.
Investigators say the fire was intentionally set after the suspect threatened to kill his girlfriend and burn their house down. When the victim went to the hospital early Monday morning, the house went up in flames.
Arson investigators say a fire early Monday morning started in the victim's bedroom, after the second domestic blowout this weekend.
Arson Investigator, Lee Wilding said, "He made threats to burn down the house at that time and then left the scene. Or left the house and then she was transported to the hospital and approximately an hour and a half later he was or, the fire occurred."
Investigators say the victim, who suffered a broken nose and black eyes was not only beaten, but also threatened before she sought treatment twice in 24 hours at Community Regional Medical Center. The victim had just returned home to recover from the first beating when police say the suspect broke into the home Sunday night. Police consider Canez violent and dangerous.
Daniel Macias said, "Since he made that threat that he would burn down the house and he would kill her and he actually followed through with that threat, that's the reason we are asking for the public's help today to try to locate him."
The fire destroyed several rooms in the home and the heat from the flames melted two cars in the neighbor's driveway. Investigators say Canez has a history of domestic violence and was arrested about two weeks ago for another incident involving the same victim.NEWS BY LOCATION | ABC30 BLOGS | DISCUSSION FORUMS
BECOME A FAN ON FACEBOOK | FOLLOW ABC30 ON TWITTER
crimetracker, fresno, fresno county, fresno police department, arson, fire, local, sontaya rose
- 2 dead after ferry sinks off South Korean coast 46 min ago
- Boston police safely blow up suspicious backpacks 46 min ago
- Fresno woman says Covered California "saved her life"
- New twist in case of murdered Fresno sex offender
- Lemoore considers tough water rules
- Memorial in place for fallen Merced police officers
- Moment of silence marks Boston Marathon bombings
- Overturned beer truck causes havoc during morning commute
- US backs Ukraine military action in east region
- Miley Cyrus hospitalized, cancels Kansas City show
- Tulare County-based drug smuggling ring busted
- Photos: Boston Marathon: One year later
- Photos: Blood Moon seen across Valley skies
- Man rushes past security at Fresno airport