Fresno's Chaffee Zoo expansion debate
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Fresno's Chaffee Zoo, and plans for expansion are back on the front burner of the city and those who oppose it.
The damp weather doesn't faze the Chaffee Zoo sea lions. And should the current master plan pass its last two hurdles, they will get the gift of a new home built inside the zoo right here.
Chaffee Zoo Director, Scott Barton said, "I'm excited to be able to deliver on what the voters voted for and actually paid for through Measure Z."
On Tuesday the Fresno County Board of Supervisors accepted the Zoo Authority Board's annual report detailing its plans to use Measure Z dollars for this project and a new exhibit on twenty acres inside the park itself. But there is opposition to both plans.
Attorney Richard Harriman represents Friends of Rodeing Park and relatives of George Roeding. He says the EIR was rushed, is flawed and will be challenged. "They are really going to have to bite the bullet and redo the process. We were not even given three days to have our experts review the document and prepare our presentation. We're intending to go the distance and we will."
Back at the zoo the animals haven't a clue of the expansion or disagreement. But the staff is looking hopefully to a future with new exhibits for existing animals and expansion to for new ones to arrive.
Barton said, "Six months from now I hope I'm walking you through the construction phase of the sea lion cove and showing you the early plans of the drawing of our new Africa area."
A determined foe with legal action on its mind aside -- Zoo Director Barton is feeling positive about support from the Fresno City Planning Commission and the Fresno City Council.NEWS BY LOCATION | ABC30 BLOGS | DISCUSSION FORUMS
BECOME A FAN ON FACEBOOK | FOLLOW ABC30 ON TWITTER
fresno city council, fresno county board of supervisors, chaffee zoo, fresno, fresno county, local, nancy osborne
- Serial college campus sex offender to be released soon 16 min ago
- 2 Men accused of firing 40 shots at law enforcement
- Freeze threatens unique tropical farm 57 min ago
- Bulldog gang members have gun battle with officer
- Fracking: Central Valley boom or nightmare?
- Newtown 911 dispatcher urged callers to take cover
- Mexico: Stolen radioactive cobalt box found empty
- 10 whales dead, dozens stranded in Everglades
- A wish is coming true for a South Valley girl
- Fresno supervisors approve moving coroner to sheriff
- OTRC: Paul Walker autopsy results released
- BART train evacuated after brake problem
- Family blames company for flammable water
- Man tries to kill ex-girlfriend by setting fire to home
- Accuweather Forecast
55 min ago