Oakhurst teacher back on job
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- The Oakhurst teacher placed on paid administrative leave for telling parents about a bully in her class returned to her job on Monday.
Elaine Brown was removed from her classroom in November. Her story drew national attention. Brown appeared on ABC's "Good Morning America"
On Monday Brown said she was ready to move forward in a positive way.
Elaine Brown couldn't stop smiling as she was reunited with her second graders at Oakhurst Elementary. Brown worried she wouldn't be able to come back. She said, "It's been one of the best days of my life. It's just been wonderful. I walked through the door and they just rushed me and almost pulled me down. It was just beautiful."
A private investigator last week though found she had done nothing wrong.
During a meeting with District Superintendent Glenn Reid Monday morning, Brown said both sides agreed this was a time of healing.
"They gave me a list of things that they made sure they wanted me to follow in the future and there was a letter of reprimand which I am going to agree to disagree with on some things. But other than that it was really positive thing. They gave me the key to come back to the classroom," Brown said.
Superintendent Reid stated "One of our next steps will be providing training for teachers and staff on how best to talk children through conflicts that occur and resolve any bullying issues, should they arise."
Some in the Oakhurst community though sensed a division over Brown's treatment.
"I think there was to a certain extent but she did the right thing. She was telling the truth about somebody and she gets in trouble which I thought was ridiculous," Pete Garachana said.
But even some of Brown's fellow teachers felt the disciplinary action was warranted. Brown explained, "I know it's going to be probably difficult for everyone's concerned but again I just wanted to go in and be who I was before this all happened."
Elaine Brown was surprised by all the national attention. She said the bullying issue just seems to strike a nerve around the country.NEWS BY LOCATION | ABC30 BLOGS | DISCUSSION FORUMS
BECOME A FAN ON FACEBOOK | FOLLOW ABC30 ON TWITTER
madera county, oakhurst, local, dale yurong
- Merced PD looks for witnesses to deadly shooting 11 min ago
- Crimeans vote to leave Ukraine, join Russia
- Ukrainians in Fresno react to Crimea vote
- LA police say no leads in abduction of 4 kids
- Fresno State men's basketball to play in CBI tourney 28 min ago
- Child may be to blame for Fresno garage fire
- Crash sends Fresno police car into canal
- 16 killed in stampedes for jobs in Nigeria
- Merced police seek help to catch armed robber
- 2.8-magnitude earthquake hits Coalinga area
- Runners hit streets for CA Classic Half-Marathon
- Clovis sting busts adults buying alcohol for minors
- Magnitude-6.7 quake hits Chile's northern coast
- Oprah Winfrey to sell Harpo Studios in Chicago
- Merced PD looks for witnesses to deadly...
15 min ago