Soldier from Lemoore receives Purple Heart
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A big honor and a very special welcome home for a Valley soldier. After two tours in Iraq and six years of service in the army Specialist Leandro Garcia is home to stay.
The moment the Garcia family of Lemoore had been waiting for finally arrived Monday. Army Specialist Leandro Garcia was home after his final deployment overseas.
"Very excited. Been praying for him to get home he finally made it," Leandro Garcia Sr. said.
His grandfather, a Vietnam War veteran and about two dozen family members were at Fresno Yosemite International Airport to greet him.
"I've actually missed my family and the cooking-- that is all I've missed," Spc. Leandro Garcia said.
"To see him getting off that plane I was glad he was home finally," Albert Garcia said.
The family had been worried, especially after a close call two years ago in Afghanistan.
The 24-year-old served as a door gunner on a Chinook helicopter that was on a resupply mission when it was shot down by a rocket propelled grenade.
His grandmother Eva remembers getting the call. "For a minute there I thought I was going to faint because I just didn't know what to think. I thought the worse at one point."
The chopper caught fire and made a hard landing, but Garcia escaped with minor injuries. "I had a one week recovery period and then got right back up in the air."
Earlier this month he was honored with two of the army's most prestigious awards-- a Purple Heart and an Air Medal.
"He's our first one to receive such an honorable award."
It's an experience his family says Garcia doesn't like to talk much about and it's fine by them. They're just glad after 6 years, this time, he's home for good.
"He really didn't tell us much about what goes on, what he's seen& he just figured he served his country-- did his job and now he's done," Delbert Garcia said.NEWS BY LOCATION | ABC30 BLOGS | DISCUSSION FORUMS
BECOME A FAN ON FACEBOOK | FOLLOW ABC30 ON TWITTER
lemoore, iraq, fresno-yosemite international airport, fresno county, fresno, local, graciela moreno
- Police: Man killed in Fresno gang-related shooting
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- Man accused of killing Parlier coach identified
- 1 arrested, 1 sought after Visalia Save Mart robbery 34 min ago
- Woman fatally shot by Fresno police identified
- 2 dozen injured as California school stage falls
- Pistorius trial: Stunning testimony in 1st week
- Putin defends separatist drive in Crimea as legal
- Lions owner William Clay Ford dies at 88 8 min ago
- Parlier youth football team mourns slain coach
- Fresno PD: Man hit by vehicle while jaywalking
- DUI suspect crashes into 'We Be Sober' drivers
- Mayor Rob Ford gets daylight saving time wrong
- 3D printer and Twitter used to make Oreo cookies