Navy and Lemoore residents meet about NAS future
LEMOORE, Calif. -- People in Lemoore gathered to discuss the future of the south valley's naval air station, which could include the arrival of a new kind of fighter jet.
At a community meeting Thursday night, Navy officials listened to what Lemoore residents thought about possibly bringing the high-tech F35 fighter jets to the air base. The stealth fighters would replace the FA18's, which are currently being used at Lemoore. The navy is choosing between the valley and a base in El Centro to locate the planes.
If Lemoore is not selected, officials estimate a large segment of people living on the base would be forced to relocate.
"35% of the population would leave. House values are already dropping. What happens if that happens? They'd drop even more," said Irvin Gruntorad of Lemoore.
Comments from the meeting will be included in the environmental impact statement on the project. A decision won't be made until that report is completed -- likely sometime next year.NEWS BY LOCATION | ABC30 BLOGS | DISCUSSION FORUMS
BECOME A FAN ON FACEBOOK | FOLLOW ABC30 ON TWITTER
united states navy, lemoore naval air station, lemoore, kings county, local
- 2 dead after ferry sinks off South Korean coast
- Boston police safely blow up suspicious backpacks
- Recycled water may ease drought concerns
- New twist in case of murdered Fresno sex offender
- Riverdale man is the newest lottery millionaire 13 min ago
- FFD: Squatters likely causing dangerous fires
- Woman says Covered California "saved her life"
- Action News talks with Mrs. California 27 min ago
- Disaster relief for cattle ranchers 57 min ago
- Lemoore considers tough water rules
- Memorial in place for fallen Merced police officers
- Moment of silence marks Boston Marathon bombings
- Overturned beer truck causes havoc during morning commute
- US backs Ukraine military action in east region