Navy and Lemoore residents meet about NAS future
LEMOORE, Calif. -- People in Lemoore gathered to discuss the future of the south valley's naval air station, which could include the arrival of a new kind of fighter jet.
At a community meeting Thursday night, Navy officials listened to what Lemoore residents thought about possibly bringing the high-tech F35 fighter jets to the air base. The stealth fighters would replace the FA18's, which are currently being used at Lemoore. The navy is choosing between the valley and a base in El Centro to locate the planes.
If Lemoore is not selected, officials estimate a large segment of people living on the base would be forced to relocate.
"35% of the population would leave. House values are already dropping. What happens if that happens? They'd drop even more," said Irvin Gruntorad of Lemoore.
Comments from the meeting will be included in the environmental impact statement on the project. A decision won't be made until that report is completed -- likely sometime next year.NEWS BY LOCATION | ABC30 BLOGS | DISCUSSION FORUMS
BECOME A FAN ON FACEBOOK | FOLLOW ABC30 ON TWITTER
united states navy, lemoore naval air station, lemoore, kings county, local
- Dog pack kills nearly 80 animals at campus
- Police investigate a home invasion in Central Fresno
- Kai murder investigation details revealed
- Mother of a Fresno toddler talks after hit-and-run
- Conn. commuter train crash injures more than 60
- Brush fire in Southern California scorches 575 acres
- Pastor caught watching child porn at Disney World
- Clovis resident whose car was used in police chase talks
- Fresno foster youth overcomes adversity to graduate
- Eyewitness to Visalia OIS describes what he saw
- Frontier Airlines returns to Fresno
- Good Sports: Bulldogs in the Kitchen
- Grass fire contained in Fresno County
- Made in the Valley: Top O' The Morn Farms
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos