Navy and Lemoore residents meet about NAS future
LEMOORE, Calif. -- People in Lemoore gathered to discuss the future of the south valley's naval air station, which could include the arrival of a new kind of fighter jet.
At a community meeting Thursday night, Navy officials listened to what Lemoore residents thought about possibly bringing the high-tech F35 fighter jets to the air base. The stealth fighters would replace the FA18's, which are currently being used at Lemoore. The navy is choosing between the valley and a base in El Centro to locate the planes.
If Lemoore is not selected, officials estimate a large segment of people living on the base would be forced to relocate.
"35% of the population would leave. House values are already dropping. What happens if that happens? They'd drop even more," said Irvin Gruntorad of Lemoore.
Comments from the meeting will be included in the environmental impact statement on the project. A decision won't be made until that report is completed -- likely sometime next year.NEWS BY LOCATION | ABC30 BLOGS | DISCUSSION FORUMS
BECOME A FAN ON FACEBOOK | FOLLOW ABC30 ON TWITTER
united states navy, lemoore naval air station, lemoore, kings county, local
- NorCal teen brain-dead after tonsil surgery
- Obama: 2014 can be breakthrough year for US
- Senator Harry Reid in hospital for observation
- Edison High School ROP teacher shot in classroom
- Authorities file charges in Elbow Room beating
- 3 men die in sauna after drinking at Christmas party
- Serial killer missing after good behavior pass to see mom
- Philippine mayor among 4 killed at Manila airport
- Teen shot on Third St. and Kadota Ave in Atwater
- Copper thieves flood Tower District businesses
- Valley experts give advice after Target accounts hacked
- SoCal tour bus crash injures 22, kills 1
- Consumer Watch: Handheld video gaming devices
- Operation Bulldog cracks down on gang members
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos