Recent storms brings plenty of snow to the mountains
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A four-day storm made President's Day weekend a snowy getaway for several valley families.
What do you like to do in the snow?
"Making angels and throwing snowballs," Kyle Yang said.
"I think it's wonderful because it brings new fresh snow and that way kids can come and enjoy it," Chao Yang said.
At Shaver Lake Sports skis and sleds were in high demand.
Since Wednesday, nearby China Peak has reported nearly two feet of new snow.
"It's been great. The snow really brings people up and we've been having a real good time," Greg Powell said.
People who will likely benefit the most from all this snow are Valley farmers.
With an above average now pack for the year, Westlands Water District has already been guaranteed fifty-percent of their water allotment.
"Right now, it's getting the ground wet, it's always appreciated and it's going to put more crops in the ground we're going to put more people back to work," Sarah Woolf said.
According to the California Department of Water Resources right now, the snow pack at Huntington Lake is at 130 percent.
Last year at this time, it stood at 104 percent.
Sarah Woolf with the Westlands Water District says if the rain and snow continues, their allotment could go up.
Ultimately though-----she says their goal is to get 100 percent of the water farmers need.
"You know, we have tremendous snow pack, rain fall has been great, but because of the restrictions in the delta, because of the environmental concerns, we still are only going to get fifty percent so it just highlights the need to improve the delta figure out a need to get water from the north to the south."NEWS BY LOCATION | ABC30 BLOGS | DISCUSSION FORUMS
BECOME A FAN ON FACEBOOK | FOLLOW ABC30 ON TWITTER
shaver lake, storm, sierra summit, local, shannon handy
- $20 thousand reward for missing Fresno man
- 2010 Greyhound Bus crash lawsuit settled
- Ex-Fresno paralegal found guilty of murder
- World leaders, South Africans honor Mandela
- Fatal Planada shooting alarmingly similar to another 21 min ago
- Sonic apologizes for racist sign
- Photos: Technology Gift Guide
- Lawsuit filed after arrest made in Elbow Room fight
- Debate on Fresno's water rate hike gets heated
- 6 missing people found alive in northern Nevada
- Putin vows to beef up Arctic military presence
- Canada plans claim that would include North Pole
- Truck driver dies after pinned while making delivery in Fresno
- Fresno auto shops build next Wheels of Hope car