UFW landmark honored near Delano
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- The place where Cesar Chavez founded the United Farm Workers Labor Union in the mid-1960s was honored as a national historic landmark Monday.
The site known simply as Forty Acres is located near Delano. And it's hosted some of the most momentous events
The location that farm workers have used as their headquarters for more than forty years is now an historic landmark.
"Here in Delano today.. America's story... farm workers... contributions Latinos have made to nation for so long," Ken Salazar said.
Interior Secretary, Ken Salazar joined Cesar Chavez's family and United Farm Workers Union leaders in dedicating 40 acres as a National Historic Landmark.
The site sits just west of Delano-- and is home to the Union Hall where grape growers signed their first union contracts after years of strikes and boycotts. It's also the place where Cesar Chavez held two public fasts.
"It was here that... cooperative gas station, daycare centers... a path that we continue to follow on a daily basis," Paul Chavez said.
Over a hundred UFW supporters and even some who marched with Cesar Chavez were on hand for the dedication.
UFW President Arturo Rodriguez called it a great honor and an acknowledgment of the struggles of those participated in the movement and those who still work the fields.
"It's important for folks to realize that if you work hard... you will make a difference in people's lives... That is what 40 acres means to us."NEWS BY LOCATION | ABC30 BLOGS | DISCUSSION FORUMS
BECOME A FAN ON FACEBOOK | FOLLOW ABC30 ON TWITTER
delano, local, graciela moreno
- Dog pack kills nearly 80 animals at campus
- Police investigate a home invasion in Central Fresno 36 min ago
- Mother of a Fresno toddler talks after hit-and-run
- Kai murder investigation details revealed
- Clovis resident whose car was used in police chase talks
- Brush fire in SoCal scorches 250 acres in Castaic area
- Frontier Airlines returns to Fresno
- Good Sports: Bulldogs in the Kitchen
- Grass fire contained in Fresno County
- Pastor caught watching child porn at Disney World
- Made in the Valley: Top O' The Morn Farms
- Suspect arrested after 2 county chase ends in crash
- Two officers wounded in Visalia shootout
- Police arrest two ID theft suspects in Fresno
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos