UFW landmark honored near Delano
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- The place where Cesar Chavez founded the United Farm Workers Labor Union in the mid-1960s was honored as a national historic landmark Monday.
The site known simply as Forty Acres is located near Delano. And it's hosted some of the most momentous events
The location that farm workers have used as their headquarters for more than forty years is now an historic landmark.
"Here in Delano today.. America's story... farm workers... contributions Latinos have made to nation for so long," Ken Salazar said.
Interior Secretary, Ken Salazar joined Cesar Chavez's family and United Farm Workers Union leaders in dedicating 40 acres as a National Historic Landmark.
The site sits just west of Delano-- and is home to the Union Hall where grape growers signed their first union contracts after years of strikes and boycotts. It's also the place where Cesar Chavez held two public fasts.
"It was here that... cooperative gas station, daycare centers... a path that we continue to follow on a daily basis," Paul Chavez said.
Over a hundred UFW supporters and even some who marched with Cesar Chavez were on hand for the dedication.
UFW President Arturo Rodriguez called it a great honor and an acknowledgment of the struggles of those participated in the movement and those who still work the fields.
"It's important for folks to realize that if you work hard... you will make a difference in people's lives... That is what 40 acres means to us."NEWS BY LOCATION | ABC30 BLOGS | DISCUSSION FORUMS
BECOME A FAN ON FACEBOOK | FOLLOW ABC30 ON TWITTER
delano, local, graciela moreno
- Ryann Jones found guilty of second degree murder
- Man charged in Elbow Room fight pleads not guilty
- Judge orders hospital to keep teen on support
- Obama: 2014 can be breakthrough year for US
- Spencer Scarber denied new trial in rape case
- 2-year-old shot in the thigh in Atwater
- Edison High School ROP teacher shot in classroom
- NorCal teen brain-dead after tonsil surgery
- Authorities file charges in Elbow Room fight
- Wheels of Hope awards Valley family a new car
- 3 men die in sauna after drinking at Christmas party
- Serial killer missing after good behavior pass to see mom
- Philippine mayor among 4 killed at Manila airport
- Teen shot on Third St. and Kadota Ave in Atwater
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos