Stormy weather causes damage in the Valley
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Drivers in Downtown Fresno learned the hard way that oil and water don't mix.
Several cars on the HWY 180 and HWY 99 interchange wrecked during the rush hour commute.
The CHP says large amounts of oil somehow spilled onto the roadway -- turning the wet roads into a slippery mess.
The extreme weather forced Violeta Alcantar out of her house.
Gusty winds uprooted a huge tree on her farm, but Alcantar also believes something else played a major role.
"The rain. The dirt got very moist I guess. The trees are tall and old," Violeta Alcantar said.
Alcantar is also worried about this weekend's storm because more trees surround her Fresno County home.
"If this happened right now, I don't even want to imagine what's going to happen later on when I'm asleep or something or my daughters. It's dangerous," added Alcantar.
The storm also blasted this huge canopy onto some phone lines in Easton.
A PG&E worker and a CHP officer spent some time cutting zip ties and removing a tarp off the frame before pulling it down safely.
The CHP says they don't know where it came from.
"No Idea. That thing it could have come from anywhere. It probably flew quite a ways," CHP officer Jim Ramos said.
The rain flooded this underpass on Wishon just north of the Tower District. The heavy downpour created a wet mess for some fax bus riders.
An Action News viewer sent us this photo -- which shows minor flooding inside the bus. Traffic ended up being diverted around the area.
The CHP responded to dozens of calls up and down the Central Valley. Officers remind drivers to slow down whether it's extreme weather or just light rain.NEWS BY LOCATION | ABC30 BLOGS | DISCUSSION FORUMS
BECOME A FAN ON FACEBOOK | FOLLOW ABC30 ON TWITTER
easton, pg&e, fresno county, california highway patrol, fresno, fresno tower district, local, tommy tran
- Get the Winning Numbers for Powerball! 24 min ago
- Valley man kills intruder with samurai sword
- Welty's final commencement at Fresno State
- Kai murder investigation details revealed
- Police investigate a home invasion in Central Fresno
- Mother of a Fresno toddler talks after hit-and-run
- Car crashes into a parade injuring around 60 people
- Conn. commuter train crash injures more than 60
- Brush fire in Southern California scorches 575 acres
- Pastor caught watching child porn at Disney World
- Clovis resident whose car was used in police chase talks
- Fresno foster youth overcomes adversity to graduate
- Eyewitness to Visalia OIS describes what he saw
- Frontier Airlines returns to Fresno
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos