Cardinal Mahony Retires
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Cardinal Roger Mahony retired Sunday as Archbishop of Los Angeles after nearly 50 years in the catholic priesthood.
Back in December Cardinal Mahony presided over Bishop John Steinbock's funeral service in Fresno.
Now the Hollywood native says he plans to dedicate himself fulltime to the fight for immigration reform.
But the cardinal's career will be tainted by a clergy abuse scandal that began when he was bishop of Stockton.
The scandal resulted in a $600 million settlement with more than 500 plaintiffs.
Mahony is turned 75-years old Sunday and will be succeeded by Archbishop Jose Gomez.NEWS BY LOCATION | ABC30 BLOGS | DISCUSSION FORUMS
BECOME A FAN ON FACEBOOK | FOLLOW ABC30 ON TWITTER
- Fresno State defeats Utah State 24-17
- Deputies search for missing 31-year-old Huron man
- Highway 41 closed near Tenaya Lodge
- Train hits pedestrian and dog in Central Fresno
- Video: Mountain communities wake up to snow
- Nelson Mandela family: 'We have lost a great man'
- Reindeer escapes from Santa at Colorado mall
- Toys for Tots marathon kicks off at River Park
- Pearl Harbor ceremony marks attack anniversary
- One injured in Central Fresno drive-by shooting
- Animal shelter seeks donations to keep dogs warm
- Freezing temperatures take toll on small Valley farms
- Police increase patrols on Fulton Mall after shooting
- Valley utility workers gear up for freezing weather