Cardinal Mahony Retires
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Cardinal Roger Mahony retired Sunday as Archbishop of Los Angeles after nearly 50 years in the catholic priesthood.
Back in December Cardinal Mahony presided over Bishop John Steinbock's funeral service in Fresno.
Now the Hollywood native says he plans to dedicate himself fulltime to the fight for immigration reform.
But the cardinal's career will be tainted by a clergy abuse scandal that began when he was bishop of Stockton.
The scandal resulted in a $600 million settlement with more than 500 plaintiffs.
Mahony is turned 75-years old Sunday and will be succeeded by Archbishop Jose Gomez.NEWS BY LOCATION | ABC30 BLOGS | DISCUSSION FORUMS
BECOME A FAN ON FACEBOOK | FOLLOW ABC30 ON TWITTER
- 2 dead after ferry sinks off South Korean coast
- Boston police safely blow up suspicious backpacks
- Recycled water may ease drought concerns
- New twist in case of murdered Fresno sex offender
- Riverdale man is the newest lottery millionaire
- FFD: Squatters likely causing dangerous fires
- Woman says Covered California "saved her life"
- Action News talks with Mrs. California
- Disaster relief for cattle ranchers
- Lemoore considers tough water rules
- Memorial in place for fallen Merced police officers
- Moment of silence marks Boston Marathon bombings
- Overturned beer truck causes havoc during morning commute
- US backs Ukraine military action in east region