Cardinal Mahony Retires
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Cardinal Roger Mahony retired Sunday as Archbishop of Los Angeles after nearly 50 years in the catholic priesthood.
Back in December Cardinal Mahony presided over Bishop John Steinbock's funeral service in Fresno.
Now the Hollywood native says he plans to dedicate himself fulltime to the fight for immigration reform.
But the cardinal's career will be tainted by a clergy abuse scandal that began when he was bishop of Stockton.
The scandal resulted in a $600 million settlement with more than 500 plaintiffs.
Mahony is turned 75-years old Sunday and will be succeeded by Archbishop Jose Gomez.NEWS BY LOCATION | ABC30 BLOGS | DISCUSSION FORUMS
BECOME A FAN ON FACEBOOK | FOLLOW ABC30 ON TWITTER
- Fire destroys the Oakhurst Lodge
- Obama defends drone strikes but says no cure-all
- 4 arrested after exchanging gunfire with police
- Yellow Jacket iPhone stun gun case
- Valley home invasion suspect arrested in Reno
- abcnews: US IDs 4 Americans Killed by Drones
- OTRC: Critics' Choice Television Awards nominees
- Fresno baby born on the way to Clovis Community
- Unemployment applications fall by 23,000
- Fresno pot shop closes amid ABC30 investigation
- New Fresno State president has strong Valley roots
- Dr. Joe Castro named new Fresno State president
- Authorities investigate a homicide in Fresno Co.
- Merced County launches Citizen Alert system