Attempted kidnapping of teenage girl in northwest Fresno
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- A suspect is in custody following an attempted kidnapping at a Northwest Fresno park. The victim was a teenage girl who told police the man grabbed her and tried to get her to go home with him. It happened at Logan Park near Barstow and Valentine.
Police say several witnesses reported a man harassing children. When they arrived at the scene, a teen ran toward them with the suspect following her. Police said the suspect resisted arrest when confronted. They believe the suspect was under the influence of methamphetamine. "Our officer is a pretty large individual and yet the suspect was able to throw him off of his back during the struggle, so a taser had to be used in order to subdue him," said Lt. Burke Farrah with the Fresno Police Department.
The violent arrest and attempted kidnapping came as a shock to parents at the park. During evenings, it hosts several sporting groups. It's also near a busy school bus stop. "It's scary. Because I got my two kids that come on the bus and it's not only mine. There are a lot of kids that come on that bus. Get picked up and dropped off, everyday," said neighborhood resident Margaret Franco.
News of the abduction attempt struck one family at the park especially hard. Royce Brown's teen daughter was the victim of a sex crime two years ago. "From experience, she's lucky. This guy could have grabbed her and put her in a vehicle and took off with her like what happened in our incident," said Brown.
Fresno police said the suspect will eventually be booked on a charge of attempted kidnapping after undergoing the evaluation at the hospital. They said they have had previous contact with him and they believe they have taken a serious offender off the streets.NEWS BY LOCATION | ABC30 BLOGS | DISCUSSION FORUMS
BECOME A FAN ON FACEBOOK | FOLLOW ABC30 ON TWITTER
fresno, fresno county, fresno northwest, kidnapping, crimetracker, fresno police department, local, amanda perez
- Pope Francis, huge crowd joyously celebrate Easter 41 min ago
- Fresno 4/20 event fires up health advocates
- Transcript reveals confusion over ferry evacuation 26 min ago
- Deputies shoot, kill man after high-speed chase
- 1 dead, 1 arrested after NW Fresno shooting
- FLIR video captures end of Tulare County chase
- Police arrest 2 suspects in Merced shooting
- 13th body pulled from snow in Everest avalanche
- Health care site flagged in Heartbleed review
- 2 Fresno men arrested in NY for heroin possession
- Deputies: Man smothered crying son over video game
- NASA: Engineer vital to moon landing success dies
- Chopper drops 2,600 golf balls for a good cause
- Blackbeard's hosts large Easter egg hunt