Fresno Police arrest alleged car thief
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Fresno Police say they found more than they expected while serving a search warrant Thursday morning in southeast Fresno.
Officers showed up at the apartment of a man they say is a serial car thief. He lives on Maple Avenue near Florence.
Investigators with a new task force called the "Career Criminal Auto Theft Team" found stolen car parts and other valuable items they say were taken in car thefts and residential burglaries. Officers say they arrested 23-year-old Hugo Espinoza on several felony charges. They say he even had evidence on him when they entered the apartment.
Tim Tietjen, with the Fresno Police Department said, "The suspect, had a, which is interestingly enough, a shaved key on his person when we made the arrest, and it's as easy as walking up, putting a shaved key in the vehicle and driving off. And there's evidence of more shaved keys being produced inside the residence as well."
Espinoza has been arrested three other times within just the past month. Police say the task force will focus on repeat offenders. The team was launched after auto theft jumped 50 percent in one year.NEWS BY LOCATION | ABC30 BLOGS | DISCUSSION FORUMS
BECOME A FAN ON FACEBOOK | FOLLOW ABC30 ON TWITTER
theft, crimetracker, fresno, fresno county, fresno southeast, fresno police department, local, sontaya rose
- Fresno State defeats Utah State 24-17
- Deputies search for missing 31-year-old Huron man
- Highway 41 closed near Tenaya Lodge
- Train hits pedestrian and dog in Central Fresno
- Video: Mountain communities wake up to snow
- Nelson Mandela family: 'We have lost a great man'
- Reindeer escapes from Santa at Colorado mall
- Toys for Tots marathon kicks off at River Park
- Pearl Harbor ceremony marks attack anniversary
- One injured in Central Fresno drive-by shooting
- Animal shelter seeks donations to keep dogs warm
- Freezing temperatures take toll on small Valley farms
- Police increase patrols on Fulton Mall after shooting
- Valley utility workers gear up for freezing weather