Protests against speaker continue in Fresno
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- For the second day in a row, people gathered at a central Fresno Sikh temple to protest a controversial guest speaker.
The group held signs and chanted prayers. A tarp and yellow tape blocked them from the temple grounds.
The peaceful march was much different than Friday night's -- where rowdy protesters yelled and threw water at people.
Protesters say the guest speaker insulted their traditional beliefs and got ex-communicated because of it. But, supporters say they invited the man to preach because he is a well-respected authority on the Sikh religion.
"Well, basically, we're not interrupting the service. I mean, America is such a great country where we can have freedom of speech and I think we're exercising that," Preetinder Singh said.
"This matter should be sorted out sitting together and going over your differences and respecting other people's opinions. And that's what they should be doing," Mohinder Poonia said.
Police told protesters not to use a loud speaker at today's event.
Protesters planned to attend another event in Selma Saturday night---as well as Caruthers Sunday where the guest speaker is expected to attend.NEWS BY LOCATION | ABC30 BLOGS | DISCUSSION FORUMS
BECOME A FAN ON FACEBOOK | FOLLOW ABC30 ON TWITTER
fresno, fresno county, protest, local
- USGS: 6.9 earthquake hits 50 miles west of Eureka 6 min ago
- Vietnam says cannot find object from missing jet
- Police: Man killed in Fresno gang-related shooting
- 1 arrested, 1 sought after Visalia Save Mart robbery
- Man accused of killing Parlier coach identified
- Woman fatally shot by Fresno police identified
- Mexico government 100 pct sure drug capo killed
- 2 dozen injured as California school stage falls
- New Target store opens in Northwest Fresno
- Pistorius trial: Stunning testimony in 1st week
- Putin defends separatist drive in Crimea as legal
- Lions owner William Clay Ford dies at 88
- Parlier youth football team mourns slain coach
- 3D printer and Twitter used to make Oreo cookies