Getting refunds on trips to Japan
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Some valley residents who were planning to visit Japan are putting their trips on hold.
There are a number of people from the valley who were planning to travel to Japan and Asia. Many are now scrambling to save the money they've already invested in a vacation.
Business at Cruise Adventures and River Park Travel is picking up as warmer weather approaches, but travel destinations do not include new trips to Japan or Asia following last week's deadly earthquake and tsunami. Owner Craig Mungary says for those who have already booked a flight to the Far East, major airlines and hotels are allowing travel changes and full refunds from now through April 10th.
Some Tokyo hotels say they are safe despite the fact that some Americans are being evacuated out of the country.
Action News talked to valley residents with loved ones in Tokyo who are fleeing the city because of fears of a nuclear meltdown. On Thursday, President Obama tried to reassure Americans who fear the fallout will reach our shores. But it's clear the crisis in Japan is on traveler's minds.
Mungary says travelers are booking other trips and asking about travel insurance.
Travel agents say the average leisure trip to Japan can cost around $5,000.00. The cost to insure a getaway in that price range is $300 to $400.
tsunami, earthquake, japan, local, deshaunta bullock
- Tulare Police Chief Arrested 48 min ago
- Obama: Sanctions show costs to Russia on Crimea
- Merced PD looks for witnesses to deadly shooting
- LA police say no leads in abduction of 4 kids
- Man with no pants attacks Merced woman, police say 30 min ago
- 3rd person dies from South By Southwest crash
- Sonic robbed at gunpoint in Clovis
- Large fire burns abandoned home in Central Fresno
- Final words from jet came after systems shutdown
- Teen mom speaks after infant son's nose bitten off
- Final Crimea count: 97 percent back Russia
- Los Angeles police get loaner Lamborghini
- Ukrainians in Fresno react to Crimea vote
- Child may be to blame for Fresno garage fire
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos