Getting refunds on trips to Japan
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- Some valley residents who were planning to visit Japan are putting their trips on hold.
There are a number of people from the valley who were planning to travel to Japan and Asia. Many are now scrambling to save the money they've already invested in a vacation.
Business at Cruise Adventures and River Park Travel is picking up as warmer weather approaches, but travel destinations do not include new trips to Japan or Asia following last week's deadly earthquake and tsunami. Owner Craig Mungary says for those who have already booked a flight to the Far East, major airlines and hotels are allowing travel changes and full refunds from now through April 10th.
Some Tokyo hotels say they are safe despite the fact that some Americans are being evacuated out of the country.
Action News talked to valley residents with loved ones in Tokyo who are fleeing the city because of fears of a nuclear meltdown. On Thursday, President Obama tried to reassure Americans who fear the fallout will reach our shores. But it's clear the crisis in Japan is on traveler's minds.
Mungary says travelers are booking other trips and asking about travel insurance.
Travel agents say the average leisure trip to Japan can cost around $5,000.00. The cost to insure a getaway in that price range is $300 to $400.
tsunami, earthquake, japan, local, deshaunta bullock
- 'Family Annihilator' fugitive could be in California
- Malos Hechos the target of Fresno police
- Bogus Fresno Bee letter adds intrigue to DA campaign
- One of Fresno's ten most wanted criminals arrested 56 min ago
- Salmon moved on the San Joaquin River
- 59 Days of Code competition encouraging developers 21 min ago
- Nobel laureate Gabriel Garcia Marquez dies at 87
- Bloody suspect caught by Madera neighbors
- 'Real Housewives' star Porsha Williams arrested
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' sequel in the works?
- Applications for US jobless aid edge up to 304,000
- Drought intensifying pest problems on farms
- Chelsea Clinton expecting 1st child
- Texas seizes polygamist group's secluded ranch 37 min ago
- Visalia approves limiting residents' water...
11 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos