Storm caused nearly 3,000 to lose power in NW Fresno
FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) -- More than 2,700 people lost power in Northwest Fresno Wednesday night. After an hour and a half of being in the dark, the lights finally came back on.
The Ross store re-opened at 8:30pm with customers ready to shop.
"The lights went out and we just had to make all the customers go outside while the lights came back on." said Ross employee Ana Saucedo.
The same could not be said at Outback Steakhouse across the street. The power outage closed down the restaurant for the rest of the night, despite a packed house.
"Basically lights flickered real quick. Everyone's like ohhh. Comes back on. Everyone's like yay. And then done from the rest of the night." said Outback employee Brett Rousse.
Dozens of people had stuck around for a while to see if the power would come back on. Action News viewer Brandie Carpenter sent us cell phone video of what it was like to be dining in the dark.
The power outage turned this busy intersection of Shaw and Marks into a four way stop. It wasn't until a PG&E worker arrived that power got restored to the surrounding areas.
Fire station 12 down the street on Marks also fell victim to the blackout. Once the lights came back on, fire fighters were able to open the garage and back in a fire engine.
Wednesday night's power outage is likely due to a severe storm cell that rocked Fresno County.
The heavy rain also flooded local streets. Fresno Police say a vehicle got stuck in a couple feet of water at the Maroa underpass just south of Shields. Fortunately a good Samaritan with a truck pulled it out safely.
fresno, fresno county, fresno northwest, storm, local, tommy tran
- Deputies shoot at suspect after patrol car rammed
- California AG promotes bills to reduce truancy
- Search widens for missing Malaysian passenger jet
- Trash dispute apparently led to fatal shooting
- 'Sextortion' suspect set for freedom
- Madera Co. shooting tied to drugs, investigators say
- Homeowners asked to prepare for busy fire season
- Clovis man gets prison time in laser-pointer case
- Russia warns Ukraine over 'lawlessness' in east
- Marketplace at El Paseo holds grand opening
- PlayStation 4's faulty parental controls
- Hip surgery complication: Uneven limbs
- Video: Take a tour of the 'smartphone home'
- Photos: Pictures from Malaysia Airlines incident